(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: basement venting

Default basement venting

getting ready to saw my basement slab to add a bath. i'm re-routing an existing vented 3" line from a first floor bath to go under the basement slab and tie into an existing under-floor vented 4" c.i. to street. i'll tie into the 3" line from the new toilet, tub & shower (all less than 5') and 1-1/2" from lav will run into the 2" shower line with AAV under the countertop. am i ok on venting depending on both the 4" c.i. line and the existing 3" as a wet vent ? thank you. al p.s. sketch at..... http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3642/basei.jpg

Wisconsin Plumbing Code Link
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry; 02-13-2011 at 12:14 PM.

The 3" and the 4" appear to be the "main drains" from the upper levels, and if so they CANNOT be used as "wet vents". If that is REALLY 18' from wall to vented stack, then it is too far away from the vent. The downstairs tub is NOT vented, and technically, neither is the toilet.

In Wet Venting, water closets must connect downstream of all other fixtures within the bathroom group.
    added by Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 02-17-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

The only horizontal wet vent allowed in WI is a bath group through the lavatory. Whether you can use an AAV will be based on the local inspector, but you should be prepared to show why a proper vent cannot be installed.
    Last edited by cacher_chick; 02-13-2011 at 12:34 PM.

so if i vent the tub & shower drains into the lav AAV i'm good to go? the w.c. is only 2' from the main 4"c.i. line - can i just dump it in there without a vent? thank you for your help.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

An AAV is not a bandaid that will fix everything! In some places, they aren't allowed at all. It is a one-way air vent, and sometimes, you need to be able to let air out of the system, not just in, so no, it may not work properly. What would work anywhere to all codes would be to run a vent up either all the way to the roof, or into the attic, then tie into another vent in the attic before it goes out of the house. Keep in mind that a drain line could be a vent to things above, but once a line becomes a drain, it cannot be a vent.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

i may be able to get a vent up to the attic thru a closet. there would have to be some horizontal vent lines in the basement (allowed?) to connect the tub,shower & lavs. would it matter if the vent lines were under the concrete and then up at a single location - or run vents to the closest wall & tie them together up under the joists and then up and out the attic? will the w.c. be ok dumping directly into the 4" from 2' away with no vent? thank you.

Every trap must have a vent including the W.C. The tub/shower/w.c. can be wet vented through lavatory. The vents must rise vertically until they reach a point no lower than 6" above the flood rim of the lavatory before they can they turn horizontal. The horizontal portion of any vent must be pitched towards a fixture drain. Vents can all tie together either at the basement ceiling or in the attic so that only a single vent through the roof is required. The WI plumbing code is pretty clear on what you are allowed to do.

This type of work requires a permit which can be obtained from your local municipal office. To obtain a permit, you will need to submit an isometric diagram of the plumbing that you intend to install and in some places a bill of materials will also be requested.

If you place into use any new plumbing system without approval and inspection, the municipality can deny occupancy of the residence until the unapproved system is removed. It is in your best interest to do this right the first time, or not at all.

Last edited by Terry; 02-14-2011 at 02:38 PM.

cacher, thanks for the constructive comments.

Default basement bath venting

i'm posting again to see if i have learned anything about adding a basement bathroom. i've given up "wet venting" and hope this plan is correct & WI code compliant. thanks for all previous comments and anything helpful on current plan (attached).http://s1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff504/oldnorskie/

Direct link because the other was too small.

You've given up wet-venting?

yes, i got ripped pretty good in my other post.

You we're given a bunch of great advice, why create a new thread.

Basically you're going to be able to wet-vent, but only if you do it properly.

My intention was to rip nothing, but your original plan failed to meet any plumbing standard.

If you draw an isometric diagram, it will make it much easier for everyone.

There is free printable isometric graph paper all over the internet which makes drawing quite easy.

dlarrivee & cacher say i can wet-vent, but do not offer a "how to" clue. another says it is way too far to the existing vent stacks and it won't work-period. if i were a master plumber i wouldn't be asking for help. maybe the forum format works only for clogged sink & leaky faucet questions? how does one beg on the internet?