while troubleshooting my 50+ year old boiler.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
turns out I have a clogged chimney. The spill switch trigged and I took a match and confirmed I have a clogged chimney. So I'm off to buy some brushes and rods...but while at it, my boiler is 50+ years old.

I don't use the boiler that MUCH these days as we have installed splitless HVAC throughout the house and we now have *zoned* heating.

Attached is a pic of my 50-60 year dinosaur.
Should I just wait till it totally conks out or is it due time.
Not sure about efficiency, etc....

boiler.jpg

Tk03

Reaction score
It is time to retire that dinosaur. The efficiency is probably in the 50% range. I would not go very high efficiency if it is not your primary heat source. Maybe an 85 - 88% efficient cast iron boiler. The key to maximize fuel savings is properly size the new boiler. Heat loss not connected load. The amount and type of radiation has no bearing on the size of the new boiler.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks