What effects would pressure treated wood have on copper plumbing pipes - they touch!

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I was quoting a new job today and noticed that the framer (Home Owner) used two pressure treated 2"x4" to frame around the shower fixtures. The plumber (Home Owner) also drill nice tight holes and the copper pipping is touch the pressure treated studs.

I understand that there is special fastners and gaskets needed to keep materials not designed to work with pressure treated lumber from making contact.

I have suggested replacing the studs and the Client does not wish to do this.

I have further suggested I use my Fein Multimaster and remove enough of the studs around the pipe to prevent the copper lines from touching. I suggest then using some "Mickey Mouse Ears" and pressure treated screws to secure the pipes.

The client does not think this is necessary and my gut tells me it is mandatory.

"WHAT SAY YE PLUMBERS?"

Anyone have first hand expierence of the chemical in the pressure treated wood causing a pipe failure?

Any insight would be most welcome.

Thanks.

JW

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
As you know, most plumbers drill 1-3/8" holes, then you can use plastic inserts, or the winged pipe holders.
I don't know about the treated lumber against copper, maybe someone else does.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It really depends on which type of treatment was used in the wood. One type is copper based, and shouldn't affect the copper pipe at all if the fasteners are SS or G185 galvanized (or copper). But, if Borate based, then you may have problems. Not sure what type(s) are available where you live, or what was used. Most of the 'older' treatements could be an issue.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks Guys.

I have not used pressure treated lumber personally before inside. I save it for decks and such. That said the client is the home owner. The client has done all this work and has no plans of ripping out all their hard work.

I will break out the multimaster and open up some real estate around the copper lines. Some mickey mouse ears and a few pressure treated screws and we should be good to go.

JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks