Basic question, 14" rough and ADA

Users who are viewing this thread

kathy carr

Reaction score
I never thought this could be so complicated. My requirements for a replacement toilet are ADA and a 14" rough in. What are my options??
Thanks

Finnegan

Reaction score
Are you asking what model toilet will work for you? I would expect that any ADA compliant toilet should fit in a 14" rough in. There are many ADA compliant toilets to choose from.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe if you were to change the flange to an adjustable one, you could "lose" 2" and use a regular ADA toilet such as the Toto Drake. Often these flanges are offered as a way to gain 2" from a 10" rough-in to a 12", so I think they should work the other way. If this is not correct, I'm sure I will be corrected.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Drake ADA doesn't adjust, it's a standard 12" rough toilet.

Most 14" toilet combinations are really 12" bowls with thicker tanks.
As long as there is room, using a standard 12" would be fine.

If you want to pull the bowl back toward the wall, then there are models that use a Unifit, some are for the 14" rough.

MS934304_zoom.jpg

Toto Llyod has a 16.125" bowl height and the 14" unifit can be ordered for it.

ms934-wood-seat.jpg

Toto Nexus is 16.125" bowl and will work with a unifit.

cst794ef-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for setting me straight. As you could probably tell from my post, I wasn't absolutely sure. It appears that there are easier ways that changing the flange to get around the problem anyway.

kathy carr

Reaction score
We've made some compromises and settled on either the Toto Plymouth or the Dartmouth. Any comments on either??

cst754_minch_zoom.jpg

TOTO Dartmouth

toto_plymouth-1.jpg

TOTO Plymouth

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like them both.

Both have good performance and they look really nice.
I put them in a lot of older Seattle homes, though the new traditional style home would work well with them too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks