I messed up - how to fix it?

Users who are viewing this thread

JuanSigned

Reaction score
I'm doing a complete gut and remodel of my master bath, and trying to do as much work as I can. But sometimes it's just better to hire a pro. Which is what I did in this case. I had him install the drain and vent for a new tub. He put the drain exactly where I asked him to put it, but I messed up the measurements and now it is about 10" from where it needs to be. :eek: Now what? :confused:

Can I put a couple of long sweep elbows to move it over? Or is this a cut it out and start over kind of problem?
drainmove.jpg

Here's what I'm thinking
drainmove2.jpg

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The fewer bends the better.
After the last joist, use one 90 bend.
Not two 90 bends like you have drawn in red.
One 45 a couple of feet back in place of the double 90 sweeps would be better than the two 90 bends shown and still better than one 90 after the last joint. Around here a plumbing inspector would never allow a side bend without a drop. I always had to roll a couple of elbows.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You already have a hole in the joist for the pipe, why make another? Just cut the trap off, install a long sweep 90, then use a new trap. One possible problem could be that the copper line, and 2x4, is going to be in the way of the trap's location. WHY was the dimension missed by such a large amount? Was it put where the overflow should be and you are trying to put the trap under the tub's outlet hole? A picture of the tub and the recess where it is going might be helpful.

JuanSigned

Reaction score
You already have a hole in the joist for the pipe, why make another? Just cut the trap off, install a long sweep 90, then use a new trap. One possible problem could be that the copper line, and 2x4, is going to be in the way of the trap's location.
The 2x4 is the mount for a ceiling fan below. It would be a bit of a pain to redo, but could be done. Moving the supply line is the least of my worries, easily done if needed.
WHY was the dimension missed by such a large amount? Was it put where the overflow should be and you are trying to put the trap under the tub's outlet hole? A picture of the tub and the recess where it is going might be helpful.
Why was it missed :eek: Well I measured off of the drawings provided by the manufacturer to the drain hole instead of the overflow. (my mistake) Then when the tub was delivered it was obvious we had mis-measured how far we wanted it from the wall.

The pictures show the tub where we DO want it. The tape measure is placed roughly where the center of the overflow would be. The piece of pipe with the yellow cap has not yet been glued in. tub2.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Moving it over with a 45 would require you drill another hole in the floor joist but you could scab some 3/4" plywood on both sides of the joist to strengthen it. The 2x4 cleat and copper pipe should not get in the way from what I can see. You can always turn the drop 90 that goes into the trap to get the bottom of the trap to clear the 2x4.

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
I don't know what code you're under but it looks like you've got a really long trap arm. UPC requires 1 1/2" trap arms to be no longer than 3' 6" developed length. How picky is your inspector? I'd just cut off that trap and use a sweep to get over there. Never underestimate the power of dry fitting.

JuanSigned

Reaction score
I don't know what code you're under but it looks like you've got a really long trap arm. UPC requires 1 1/2" trap arms to be no longer than 3' 6" developed length. How picky is your inspector?
The inspector is me and I'm pretty picky. The length from the end of the trap to the vent is 3' so its close to the limit but not quite there yet. (which is good, because I did pay a pro to do the job. I'd be ticked if he didn't do it to code.)

I'd just cut off that trap and use a sweep to get over there. Never underestimate the power of dry fitting.

OK, three guys all saying the same thing, long sweep 90. That's what I'm going to do.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
It seems odd to me that you say you measured for the drain hole instead of the overflow and the trap looks like it would work fine with the overflow...? In the last 2 pictures the tub is where you need it to end up?

JuanSigned

Reaction score
It seems odd to me that you say you measured for the drain hole instead of the overflow and the trap looks like it would work fine with the overflow...? In the last 2 pictures the tub is where you need it to end up?
In the last picture with the tape measure I need to move the drain about 6" up. I went to the store and bought 22, 45, 60 and 90 degree sweeps and no combination of them will to go from the trap to the drain in the space I have to work with. I think the best choice is a 90 sweep after the last joist. I have just enough rise left to keep 1/4 per foot slope going to the tub drain.

PM5K

Reaction score
Doesn't make sense to me, but you seem to have a good enough idea of what's going on.

In the first pic it looks like it's in the right spot, in the second it looks like it's six inches off, but your explanation of measuring for the drain hole instead of the overflow doesn't make sense, if you did you'd have to move the drain six inches down, not up.

??

JuanSigned

Reaction score
OK experts take a look at my mistake fix. Just as a reminder this is where I started. Professional plumber paid to do the install. He put it exactly where I asked and it was totally wrong when the tub was delivered.
drainmove3.jpg

After a bunch of head scratching and input from this site (thanks!) here is the final dry fit. With what I have done do you see anything that wouldn't work? (Yes I know I've got a piece of PVC in the middle of everything. It will be replaced with ABS when its glued up. And according to a licensed plumber local code allows for PVC to ABS transitions IF you use green transition glue.) This first shot is looking down the tub's over flow.
drainmovefinal1.jpg

This is a different angle. It worked out the the 2x4 brace for the downstairs fan and the cold water supply line were both in the way. I rerouted the copper and reinforced and cut the fan brace.
drainmovefinal2.jpg

This last shot is a close up of the drain and P trap. So does it look OK or is there a problem?
drainmovefinal3.jpg

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Just because there is transition glue available doesn't mean it's a good idea to randomly mix different materials...

JuanSigned

Reaction score
I knew, just knew someone would comment on that piece of PVC I was using for dry fitting. :D Other than that piece, which I said was going to be replaced with ABS does it look OK?

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd say you've got the drain right. That fan support is, um, interesting. What about the metal fan support brackets-the type that telecope? They're only about 1/2 inch high.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks