Best replacement for well tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
u fancy urself as a real man do ya? i bet ur pasty white with soft clean hands. ..not that there's anything wrong with that.

I wish I could get a grand to pull out a 120' pump.

who knows what he could sell it for.. why even speculate?

homemade elevators are self explanatory, the idea is very simple. build whatever u can.. only good for pulling 20' sections though.

only reason I'm not crazy about idea of small sections.. say u pull 5' at a time.. that's 23-24 pulls, clamps, and cuts.. on silppery 2" pvc. tons of opportunities to make a tiny mistake that could cost several thousands. I wouldnt say its wrong to tackle it, and if they are handy.. they'll do what it takes to get it out.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Want a pipe vise that works better than a steel one? For a few bucks?

4x6 or 6x6 nice piece of doug fir or oak, longer than well casing width by 5 or 6 inches. Drill a home in the center the OD pipe size or a few thousands less.

Split it in a bandsaw right down the center, Put a monster hinge on one end, and a good C clamp on the other. You can attach the C clamp with plumbers tape or whatever so you dont have to fool with it.

Make [2] if you are LOWERING pipe and keep one above the one at the casing in case of a slip.

Set 400' of 4" pvc liner recently, and just a tiny turn of the clamp lets the pipe slide with perfect control.

You can pull and pause with anything as the clamps hold even on wet PE pipe.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I didn't want to bring this up earlier but, if we are going to use wooden elevators and things like that, we might as well just plug the holes in the big pressure tank. You can sharpen up a stick and drive it in the hole. The water will swell the wood an it will seal the leak. I have seen tanks with 100 wooden plugs driven in them. Wish I had a picture. It was pretty funny looking and not really safe, but it made the tank last several more years.

Rekrap

Reaction score
I didn't want to bring this up earlier but, if we are going to use wooden elevators and things like that, we might as well just plug the holes in the big pressure tank. You can sharpen up a stick and drive it in the hole. The water will swell the wood an it will seal the leak. I have seen tanks with 100 wooden plugs driven in them. Wish I had a picture. It was pretty funny looking and not really safe, but it made the tank last several more years.

Gentlemen;
I am still here and appreciate al of your and honest advise from ya"ll, I had to leave the computer to cut down some trees for my grand daughter.
I also use to have those "pasty white with soft clean hands (HAHA) but lost them after my retirement, now it seems like I am the only one around here that can do manuel labor. but it keeps me alive, that is great.
I will keep it up untill that final days comes.
Now it is time for me to study your expert experience and come to a decision as what to do.
I did get some advice from local well companies.
One sugested replacing with four 80 gal. bladder tanks, another with replacing 3 one hundred tweny gal. bladder or the diaphram tanks. the cost would be very close to a new pressure tank.
In checking the last replacement of the last tank it was 24 years ago. I have my doubts
bts that a bladder tank or a diaphram would last that long. We do have a lot of Ironand calcium in our water

Valveman
mentioned a wooden plug, I enjoyed that statement because I remembered my father teachng me that trick back on the farm when I was a kid. I did just that about one and a half years ago and it worked untill now. I even tried welding it but should have tried to weld on a steel plate.
The problem is that the leak is locatedright at the edge of the drain fitting on the curve.
I was also thinking if I deceide to replace the same old pressure tank would a C>S>V value be of any help

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
I'd get a quote on the job of changing the pump if I was in this person's position. I've hoisted out pumps up 1200' deep. This work can just be dangerous when stuff lets go. This is only 120' and won't take long to remove correctly with a hoist. I agree that downsizing this pump would be a good plan.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks