(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Incomplete Backflush or Rinsing

Hybrid View

Default Incomplete Backflush or Rinsing

Thank you for any advice.

3ppm Iron, 25 hardness, ~~7.1 ph, medium tannins, medium sulfur smell, medium methane.

I have a chemical pump (chlorine/soda ash), Terminox Iron Filter and a mixed bed softener. All works well except imediately after a resin regeneration. I basically have a lot of unflushed or unrinsed muck coming through. The water is soft but what is coming through should have already gone down the drain. I have to open all cold water faucets for 5-10 minutes in order for this to clear. Then all is well.

My dealer had me increase both backflush and rinse cycles (twice) on the Autotrol head, but this does not help. I have yet to open my tank to inspect for any abnormalties.

Thank you and sorry if this is covered elsewhere.
    Last edited by Terry; 05-11-2011 at 03:41 PM.

What kind of increases did they have you do to the backflush and rinse cycle?
    How many minutes to each?
    I know that the older Autotrol's did not have a way of increasing the time for the backflush or rinse.. all that you could change was the brine refill time.

This is a newer Autotrol, don't remember the modle; but it is programmable. I don't remember, either, the increase in minutes but it was significant.
    BTW, I used to have iron bacteria issue untill I installed the chlorine injection. Am wondering if there could be an issue with the resin screen inside the tank.

That is something you might want to look at if you have an upper basket and the unit is a couple years old. It may have considerable build up, if it does clean it thouroughly and then run it through a cycle and see what it does. Also do you have the units plummed just as you wrote the pump, the iron filter and then the mixed bed softener? Also what is exactly the type of mixed bed you have?

Yes, it is plumed in that order; chem injector, pyrolox, softener. The system is a year old. And the mixed bed is Cation and Anion resins; 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by ksnakes View Post
    This is a newer Autotrol, don't remember the modle; but it is programmable. I don't remember, either, the increase in minutes but it was significant.
    BTW, I used to have iron bacteria issue untill I installed the chlorine injection. Am wondering if there could be an issue with the resin screen inside the tank.
    If there is an upper basket ,, then yes there could be a challenge with it.. if you can I would remove it, might have to slow down the back wash from say 5gpm to 4 or 3gpm so that the media does not leave the tank..

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Is not the final fast rinse and pack in the forward direction? The top basket should not be an issue then.

But if the upper basket is blocking the resin from moving as free as it should and the so called trash from getting thrown out in the backwash.. then yes the upper screen/basket will be a challenge.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ksnakes View Post
    I basically have a lot of unflushed or unrinsed muck coming through...
    I'm curious what muck there would be in a water softener. Really, by the time the water gets through the iron filter, all there should be in the water is dissolved mineral, no muck, no turbidity, nothing visible. I really have to wonder if the muck isn't softener beads that have deteriorated into fine particles because of the clorine.

If the iron system is not up to 100% then the softener will get to deal with left over of the iron filter.

If the chlorine is high enough then the resin bed will become impacketed or not let water pass..
    Beads will no longer be beads but more like a sediment that water can not pass.