Ground wire size

Users who are viewing this thread

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
Over the years, I have noticed that on some romex type wire and some extension cords have a ground wire that is smaller then the load wires.
I always thought it was correct to have the same gauge wires.
When is a smaller ground wire ok?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The ground wire is there for safety...not for normal current flow. Current flow is designed to go from the hot to the neutral. If, for some reason, there is a fault, the ground provides a path that is sufficient to blow the fuse or trip the CB...therefore, any current in the ground is only there a very short time, so it shouldn't heat up like a larger wire could, and is sufficient. For this reason, you can save some money by using a smaller wire there, and most places do.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
An equipment grounding conductor is sized based on the over-current protection installed on the circuit. 15A circuit=14ga, 20A=12 ga, 30-60A=10ga, 70-100A= 8ga, 110-200A= 6ga. The grounding conductor may be larger than this minimum requirement, but should not be smaller.

TWEAK

Reaction score
NEC and most all local codes allow a smaller equipment ground for most general circuits. IIRC, there are some exceptions in the NEC where you can't do this. But for the most part it's allowed and perfectly safe. Most current Romex I get (southwire) has the same size ground as the conductors, though - but I've torn out a lot that had a smaller equipment ground. When running THHN/THWN I always take advantage of the code and run smaller ground... with the cost of copper it really saves money, and is perfectly safe. There's no reason I can see for ever running an equipment ground that's larger than the current carrying conductors.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
The question was WHEN was the reduced ground NM cable used or allowed. I for one do not know for sure, but it was definitely popular in the 50's and 60's. I think once they realized that a #16 ground was not adequate for a 20A or 30A circuit that is when they went to full size grounds for #14 thru #10 cables.
Most likely early 70's?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
The 1962 cycle in Section 250-95 a 20 amp circuit was the lowest listed with a number 16 as the equipment grounding conductor. By the 1968 cycle a 15 amp overcurrent device required a 14 for equipment grounding

NanH

Reaction score
I have a specific question about this topic. If the house is older and already wired with the smaller ground wire, what is the situation if I replace the breaker box? Can I connect the old wires with the small grounds into the new box? If not, what are my options?

Stuff

Reaction score
Some places have a renovation code but most allow everything to remain as is when replacing a service entrance or other panel. Most of the time if the new panel is withing 6' of the old you don't have to change any branch circuits, but maybe the feeder to the panel. I've heard that some places require you to upgrade to AFCI circuit breakers as needed. This is where you check with your "authority having jurisdiction" for clarification.

Norcal01

Reaction score
The reduced sized grounding conductors in 10,12,14, AWG NM cable went away with either the 1968, or 1971, NEC. I don't have a 1968, but do have a 1971 NEC, in looking at the 1971 NEC it requires full sized 10,12,14 AWG grounding conductors with the same sizes of ungrounded conductors so it must of changed in the 1968 edition.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks