(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Floodchek washing machine hoses

In response to the SS braided hoses, I've changed two recently that had burst,
    Last one was a supply line under a kitchen sink, someone was home so no damage

I always change out the hoses when I install new appliances, or on rentals to a remodel up grade, goal is about every 5 years.

Michael
    Last edited by Terry; 03-24-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    Good information - All those so called SS wrapped supply lines from china should be suspect, because you really do not know what is inside - probably just a cheap vinyl tube.

Its no mystery how to build a great hose. The best washer line would be a 3,000 or 4500 PSI hydraulic line. I have some on my excavator operating at 4500PSI for 15 years under incredible strain and shock inside and out. And you can have them made at any auto parts store in a minute- and quite flexible also.... Too bad they don't have garden hose ends for them!

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...c&keyword=HHNB

On edit, I think I really will use hydraulic hoses on the washer. Just add an adapter, have a 2950 PSI safety factor, and save a bit of money over the cost of the floodsafes.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...name=hydraulic

And here is a beauty for the dishwasher- 15 bucks and 12,000psi burst!

Try and find that quality at home depression.
    Which adapters do you recommend? I wouldnt want to get a good hose and have the adapter go.

Why dont they make pex washing machine hoses? Wouldnt that be cheaper and last forever?

EDIT: Looks like a guy is selling pex washing machine hoses on ****, Only one guy though, Is something wrong with them?
    http://cgi.****.com/Never-Burst-PEX-...-/380327001424

Name:  pex_washer_hose.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  50.4 KB
    Last edited by Terry; 03-30-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I like that since 1989 they haven't had a failure.
    And the 20 year warranty.

http://www.floodchek.com/

I remember walking into a friends home this Summer with the standard hoses and seeing three inches of water in her basement.
    If you can imagine this, I pulled her toilet off and let the water in the basement drain down the closet flange.
    I went to the web page today and was about to order the hoses but noticed something odd. If you click on the Buy Now tab and look at your sizing options they all say 5" or 7". This must be a typo and they mean 5' and 7' correct? I sent them some feedback on this at the website. Or am I just missing something?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I saw that too. It has to be five feet and seven feet.

Well, it looks like they got my message. They already fixed the dimensions. Now 5' and 7' on the website : )

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

RE Pex, most pex is not designed to resist UV, so that could be a factor in why they aren't common, along with the fact they aren't all that flexible in comparison to most conventional ones.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by mikept View Post
    Why dont they make pex washing machine hoses? Wouldnt that be cheaper and last forever?
    Have you held pex before, it doesn't bend quite as well as you might think.

yeah i thought of that after. I asked the seller and he said that the hoses have an approximate 45 deg angle on one end and the hose can be twisted along it's length to accomodate an oddly positioned hookup.

I dont see the 45 deg angle on the hose end?, a 45 would help, a 90deg fitting could make it fit just about anywhere though.

UV isnt great for rubber hoses either. Would a flourescent light damage pex over time?Doesnt some pex have uv stabilizers or pigments in it?

http://www.mercury-plastics.com/washingmachine.html

This pex hose looks more professional and is black so i dont think uv is a problem

Name:  graphic_PEXwashing.jpg
Views: 1477
Size:  12.8 KB
    Last edited by Terry; 03-31-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Smile Floodchek hose installation

Hello,

Do you use the right angle 90 degree goose neck connection at the water valve.
    Also, is the hose attachment to the washing machine hand torque + 1/4 turn,
    since washing machine outlet is plastic threaded fitting.

Thanks

Default Floodchek hose installation

Thanks for all your help and advice. Floodchek hose installation was completed over the 2011 Christmas New year Holidays.
    The distance between the wall and washing machine is about 6.75 inches. This would allow for a minium bend radius.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by richard8 View Post
    I have not heard of any instance of braided steel bursting. If there are any cases, please let me know.
    If there are any pictures, please post also. What was the time frame, burst after 13 years, 18 years.
    Or just create a blister, then small leak ????

I have heard of rubber hoses bursting after 7 years, that is when the washing machine is turned on.

I have also heard from plumbers that they recommend stainless steel.

My brother had a SS washer hose start to leak after 3 to 4 years. It was in a crowded area where it had solid contact with an old-style steel-encased concrete laundry sink and also a flexible gas line. My best guess is that galvanic electrolysis between the copper plumbing, the steel/zinc/lead sink casing, and the god-knows-what old flexible gas line to the dryer corroded the braided stainless and created lots of sharps that eventually perforated the polyethylene inner tubing. He replaced them with non-cheap conventional reinforced rubber and is showing no signs of decay 17 years later. For every good intent there's a counter-case.

quote; I'm thinking the Floodchek might be a little easier in a confined space with six inches or so between the washer and the back wall.

I have never used the Floodchek hoses, but from their appearance, and the statement that they are "hydraulic" hoses, I doubt that they can make a very tight turn from the valve and then down out of the way as the machine is slid back. If that is a requirement for your purpose, a braided stainless steel one is VERY flexible. Terry, who builds a basement, especially with a washing machine and bathroom, or even a water heater, WITHOUT a floor drain? Or maybe the question should be, what LOGICAL, thinking, person does it?
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

When I last looked at the Floodchek hoses, I think I saw they make them with straight and righ-angle fittings...choose the proper one for your application, then you don't have to worry about bending them too much. In a worst case scenario, you can add a right-angle adapter or, you may want to screw on a hammer arrester, and those often have the right-angle built-in. It never hurts to limit the pulse when the wm turns off.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014