Floodchek washing machine hoses. (Still in business?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
RE Pex, most pex is not designed to resist UV, so that could be a factor in why they aren't common, along with the fact they aren't all that flexible in comparison to most conventional ones.

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
yeah i thought of that after. I asked the seller and he said that the hoses have an approximate 45 deg angle on one end and the hose can be twisted along it's length to accomodate an oddly positioned hookup.

I dont see the 45 deg angle on the hose end?, a 45 would help, a 90deg fitting could make it fit just about anywhere though.

UV isnt great for rubber hoses either. Would a flourescent light damage pex over time?Doesnt some pex have uv stabilizers or pigments in it?

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
http://www.mercury-plastics.com/washingmachine.html

This pex hose looks more professional and is black so i dont think uv is a problem

graphic_PEXwashing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

richard8

Reaction score
Floodchek hose installation

Hello,

Do you use the right angle 90 degree goose neck connection at the water valve.
Also, is the hose attachment to the washing machine hand torque + 1/4 turn,
since washing machine outlet is plastic threaded fitting.

Thanks

richard8

Reaction score
Floodchek hose installation

Thanks for all your help and advice. Floodchek hose installation was completed over the 2011 Christmas New year Holidays.
The distance between the wall and washing machine is about 6.75 inches. This would allow for a minium bend radius.

Attachments

• flood.jpg
    flood.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 2,857

Esobocinski

Reaction score
I have not heard of any instance of braided steel bursting. If there are any cases, please let me know.
If there are any pictures, please post also. What was the time frame, burst after 13 years, 18 years.
Or just create a blister, then small leak ????

I have heard of rubber hoses bursting after 7 years, that is when the washing machine is turned on.

I have also heard from plumbers that they recommend stainless steel.

My brother had a SS washer hose start to leak after 3 to 4 years. It was in a crowded area where it had solid contact with an old-style steel-encased concrete laundry sink and also a flexible gas line. My best guess is that galvanic electrolysis between the copper plumbing, the steel/zinc/lead sink casing, and the god-knows-what old flexible gas line to the dryer corroded the braided stainless and created lots of sharps that eventually perforated the polyethylene inner tubing. He replaced them with non-cheap conventional reinforced rubber and is showing no signs of decay 17 years later. For every good intent there's a counter-case.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I'm thinking the Floodchek might be a little easier in a confined space with six inches or so between the washer and the back wall.

I have never used the Floodchek hoses, but from their appearance, and the statement that they are "hydraulic" hoses, I doubt that they can make a very tight turn from the valve and then down out of the way as the machine is slid back. If that is a requirement for your purpose, a braided stainless steel one is VERY flexible. Terry, who builds a basement, especially with a washing machine and bathroom, or even a water heater, WITHOUT a floor drain? Or maybe the question should be, what LOGICAL, thinking, person does it?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When I last looked at the Floodchek hoses, I think I saw they make them with straight and righ-angle fittings...choose the proper one for your application, then you don't have to worry about bending them too much. In a worst case scenario, you can add a right-angle adapter or, you may want to screw on a hammer arrester, and those often have the right-angle built-in. It never hurts to limit the pulse when the wm turns off.

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
I called Floodchek on 2/18 and talked with Steve the president. I said that I would order his product if he could ship it out that day as I had a new washer and dryer being delivered soon and wanted the hoses to go with them. He assured me they would ship the same day and I ordered them while we were on the phone.

Their website sucks because you can’t order what you really want. They have a few “stock” kits but don’t allow you to order items individually to buy exactly what you need. I needed a “steam kit” which would be one red and two blue hoses. They only had that bundled with some gooseneck adapters which I didn't need. I mentioned that to him and he asked me to order the 5' steam kit with the adapters and he would credit me the cost of the adapters since I didn't need them.

I waited 3 days. During that time period, I called twice and left messages both times and sent an email asking for an update or tracking number. I was wondering if they really were in transit or what was going on. Then I get a tracking number emailed to me with no further comments. Sure enough, they had been shipped out 3 days after he told me they would. I sent one more email asking for a credit on the shipping and the cost of some new cheapie hoses that would get me by until the Floodchek hoses arrived. No reply. Time to file a dispute with Paypal which I did. I check the tracking number one more time on the day they are supposed to arrive to me and the package has been requested to be returned to the sender and is en-route back to Floodchek. No phone call or email from them stating the problem.

I try calling one more time and Steve answers the phone. I ask him when he is going to refund the money for the adapters like he said he was going to and why the hoses are not going to be delivered anymore. The dude just goes irate on the phone yelling, swearing, cussing me for being a crappy customer, whining and wanting a credit, blah blah blah. While he’s yelling he tells me that lightning struck the telephone pole right outside their office and his computer is down. He finally just hangs up on me.

I call Paypal, give them the tracking number which they look up and acknowledge that the hoses are on their way back to Floodchek and promptly return my money.

I will say, the product looks to be really nice but I will not recommend or support this company because of the owners actions. This guy has some serious personality issues. Maybe he forgot to take his meds? I can certainly understand things happen, but to completely blow me off for 3 days and then yell at me when I finally do make contact is unacceptable. Screw you Floodchek.

Anybody know of a good quality washing machine hose?

Last edited:

Hcw3

Reaction score
review?

Funny company.

I ordered direct from his website, soon received the order confirmation email, plus a separate "Shipped!" email from UPS. The UPS email said "expected delivery 10/11", and I was silly enough to take it at face value.

Nothing came on 10/11, so I checked the UPS site and the package hadn't even gotten to them yet.

Called Floodchek (9pm on a Friday night) and was surprised when Steve answered. He cheerfully said he'd look into it.

I received another "Shipped!" notice the next day, this time from the postal service. Of course no one actually ships anything on Saturday, and Monday was going to be a federal holiday, so this time I took it with a grain of salt.

To his credit, Steve did contact me again on Monday, when he realized that the Post Office was closed, to let me know it would go out Tuesday, Priority Mail.

I finally received the package on Thursday, quality is good, although I would not say the rubber is "hydraulic hose", the fittings seem to be of good quality, and they're well constructed.

Now, after all that, can I trust them for 20 years?!? Time will tell. ;-)

I called Floodchek on 2/18 and talked with Steve the president. I said that I would order his product if he could ship it out that day as I had a new washer and dryer being delivered soon and wanted the hoses to go with them. He assured me they would ship the same day and I ordered them while we were on the phone.

Their website sucks because you can’t order what you really want. They have a few “stock†kits but don’t allow you to order items individually to buy exactly what you need. I needed a “steam kit†which would be one red and two blue hoses. They only had that bundled with some gooseneck adapters which I didn't need. I mentioned that to him and he asked me to order the 5' steam kit with the adapters and he would credit me the cost of the adapters since I didn't need them.

I waited 3 days. During that time period, I called twice and left messages both times and sent an email asking for an update or tracking number. I was wondering if they really were in transit or what was going on. Then I get a tracking number emailed to me with no further comments. Sure enough, they had been shipped out 3 days after he told me they would. I sent one more email asking for a credit on the shipping and the cost of some new cheapie hoses that would get me by until the Floodchek hoses arrived. No reply. Time to file a dispute with Paypal which I did. I check the tracking number one more time on the day they are supposed to arrive to me and the package has been requested to be returned to the sender and is en-route back to Floodchek. No phone call or email from them stating the problem.

I try calling one more time and Steve answers the phone. I ask him when he is going to refund the money for the adapters like he said he was going to and why the hoses are not going to be delivered anymore. The dude just goes irate on the phone yelling, swearing, cussing me for being a crappy customer, whining and wanting a credit, blah blah blah. While he’s yelling he tells me that lightning struck the telephone pole right outside their office and his computer is down. He finally just hangs up on me.

I call Paypal, give them the tracking number which they look up and acknowledge that the hoses are on their way back to Floodchek and promptly return my money.

I will say, the product looks to be really nice but I will not recommend or support this company because of the owners actions. This guy has some serious personality issues. Maybe he forgot to take his meds? I can certainly understand things happen, but to completely blow me off for 3 days and then yell at me when I finally do make contact is unacceptable. Screw you Floodchek.

Anybody know of a good quality washing machine hose?

khedrei

Reaction score
Bringing an old thread back to the top...

My mother had a flood this summer. The hose on the toilet apparently burst. I believe it was the plastic part that connect to the valve at the toilet tank. I don't know for sure because the plumber took the part with him so I never got to see it. He also ripped her off. $430 plus tax to replace a toilet valve and hose. She didn't think much of the cost because she thought insurance would cover it, but having never made a claim in her life, she didn't know that they only cover the damage, not what caused it.

Anyway, she is now paranoid about another flood because the plumber told her the valves that the builder installed were crap. They are all Dahl valves I checked with a plumber friend and he said that's about the best in the business for homes. Although the valve was in tact, it wasn't really able to close. It was seized in the open position from never having been closed. So she wants me to change all the valves and hoses in the house.

Here is my question. I do plan to use the flood check hoses for the washer. But this company doesn't make a toilet supply hose. And I have not been able to find a company that does out of the same kind of material. Floodcheck claims that the SS washer hoses are just as prone to failure as the rubber ones, so wouldn't the same apply to SS toilet supply hoses? And faucet supply hoses for that matter?

Terry, is there a type of toilet and faucet supply hose you would recommend instead of a standard braided steel, or braided SS one? Or should those be changed at regular intervals?

Also, she found something online about a recall on PEX pipe, or PEX fittings. The house was built in 07. Apparently there is a problem with the fittings and they corrode and burst the pipe. There was some kind of class action suit and a big recall. Maybe that is why the shut off valves are seized up. I suppose they should all be changed. Is there a better brand than Dahl?

Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Dahl, made in Canada is good stuff.
It was more likely the plastic nut that was threaded onto the toilet fill valve. Some of the early supply lines nuts used to crack.
I notice that the new ones are much thicker now.

Hcw3

Reaction score
I'm not a pro, but a friend in the business told me he'd never use the flexible hose type of supply lines, either braided or not, because he's seen them fail too often.

He recommended the old fashioned chrome-plated copper supply lines, that use compression fittings.

They take a bit more skill to install, but aren't they less likely to fail?

Bringing an old thread back to the top...

My mother had a flood this summer. The hose on the toilet apparently burst. I believe it was the plastic part that connect to the valve at the toilet tank. I don't know for sure because the plumber took the part with him so I never got to see it. He also ripped her off. $430 plus tax to replace a toilet valve and hose. She didn't think much of the cost because she thought insurance would cover it, but having never made a claim in her life, she didn't know that they only cover the damage, not what caused it.

Anyway, she is now paranoid about another flood because the plumber told her the valves that the builder installed were crap. They are all Dahl valves I checked with a plumber friend and he said that's about the best in the business for homes. Although the valve was in tact, it wasn't really able to close. It was seized in the open position from never having been closed. So she wants me to change all the valves and hoses in the house.

Here is my question. I do plan to use the flood check hoses for the washer. But this company doesn't make a toilet supply hose. And I have not been able to find a company that does out of the same kind of material. Floodcheck claims that the SS washer hoses are just as prone to failure as the rubber ones, so wouldn't the same apply to SS toilet supply hoses? And faucet supply hoses for that matter?

Terry, is there a type of toilet and faucet supply hose you would recommend instead of a standard braided steel, or braided SS one? Or should those be changed at regular intervals?

Also, she found something online about a recall on PEX pipe, or PEX fittings. The house was built in 07. Apparently there is a problem with the fittings and they corrode and burst the pipe. There was some kind of class action suit and a big recall. Maybe that is why the shut off valves are seized up. I suppose they should all be changed. Is there a better brand than Dahl?

Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
he's seen them fail too often.

I had one with a slight leak in the last 15 years.
I replaced it before it got any worse. Manufacturers have significantly improved them over the years. The part that failed twelve years ago has been changed for the better.

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
Thank you for recommending the FloodChek hoses. I got some and they are amazing. I love heavy-duty, possibly over-engineered stuff. I wish they made even more products.

Steve McClary

Reaction score
I would look carefully before ordering anything from Floodchek. I ordered hoses September 2017, never received them although my credit card was charged immediately. Floodchek did not respond to emails, phone calls go straight to voice mail and are not returned. Supposedly located in Oliver Springs TN but the address is the local Post Office and the local police say they are not a local business. Check BBB and Google reviews, many people report the same thing.

They may have been good in the past but something is wrong now.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Registrant Contact
Name: Steve Vargo
Organization: Floodchek Corporation
Mailing Address: PO Box 602, Oliver Strings Tennessee 37840 US
Phone: +1.8654350057
Ext:
Fax:
Fax Ext:
Email: sales@floodchek.com,

physical address for Floodchek
115 Donald Ln,
Clinton, TN 37716

Last edited:

Steve McClary

Reaction score
Registrant Contact
Name: Steve Vargo
Organization: Floodchek Corporation
Mailing Address: PO Box 602, Oliver Strings Tennessee 37840 US
Phone: +1.8654350057
Ext:
Fax:
Fax Ext:
Email: sales@floodchek.com,

physical address for Floodchek
115 Donald Ln,
Clinton, TN 37716
If you look at the Donald Lane address it's a small residential cottage in the middle of the country side. And Floodchek still has not responded to emails, phone messages, etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks