Floodchek washing machine hoses. (Still in business?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Floodchek hoses are the best. Made from hydraulic hose.

Not to be confused with Floodsafe, which I do not recommend.

Attachments

• floodchek_hoses.png
    floodchek_hoses.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 8,349
Last edited:

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
Anybody seen a braided SS hose (other than Floodsafe) burst? I know the Floodsafe hoses had problems with bursting at the fitting ... but do the actual SS hoses fail? I had a standard rubber washer hose that grew a huge bubble (a flood waiting to happen) before switching to the braided SS hoses. They are about 10 years old and look fine - should I change them? Thanks.

richard8

Reaction score
washing machine hoses braided steel vs. rubber

I have not heard of any instance of braided steel bursting. If there are any cases, please let me know.
If there are any pictures, please post also. What was the time frame, burst after 13 years, 18 years.
Or just create a blister, then small leak ????

I have heard of rubber hoses bursting after 7 years, that is when the washing machine is turned on.

I have also heard from plumbers that they recommend stainless steel.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Of course braided steel hoses will only be as good as the barb fittings on the end. I looked over several brands before deciding. Don't recall the brand but they've been in service for 12 years.

When I plumbed in my laundry room I also made sure to install large hammer stops at the washer taps.

Something worth considering is an automatic water shutoff that only turns on the water when the washer is in use.
http://www.watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=3427

The Watts IntelliFlowâ„¢ Automatic No. 2 (A2C-M) is equipped with a state of the art electric current sensing device. When the washer is turned on, the device senses the current flow to the washer and opens the valves.

Attachments

• watts_A2C-M1.jpg
    watts_A2C-M1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 6,437
Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What are those floodchek hoses made of that makes it that much better thatn ss braided? I think Fluidmaster has a lifetime warranty.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
One problem with the SS ones are they do not loop easily and mark the walls. I'm thinking the Floodchek might be a little easier in a confined space with six inches or so between the washer and the back wall.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I do like the little 45º adapters. I have a stacker machine, and straight on is a little awkward, and the hoses you can get with 90's on them don't work at all,

Brian.Hoard

Reaction score
Hi.
I just read your PDF that recommended the FloodChek hoses ( https://terrylove.com/pdf/bottom_line_plumbing_2011_2.pdf ) and I plan on ordering them for my laundry room remodel. I'm wondering since both the washing machine's water connections and the supplies coming from the wall are horizontal, should I add angled adapters to both ends of the hoses so they are pointing down? It seems to me like that would be less stress on the hoses. What's your advice?

dayster

Reaction score
I find the Floodcheck website a bit odd. There is no mention whatsoever of the construction or design of their hoses, the site just says that the hoses are great... without explanation. Seems a bit suspect. The look nice though! Terry, howcum you like them so much?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like that since 1989 they haven't had a failure.
And the 20 year warranty.

http://www.floodchek.com/

I remember walking into a friends home this Summer with the standard hoses and seeing three inches of water in her basement.
If you can imagine this, I pulled her toilet off and let the water in the basement drain down the closet flange.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Good information - All those so called SS wrapped supply lines from china should be suspect, because you really do not know what is inside - probably just a cheap vinyl tube.

Its no mystery how to build a great hose. The best washer line would be a 3,000 or 4500 PSI hydraulic line. I have some on my excavator operating at 4500PSI for 15 years under incredible strain and shock inside and out. And you can have them made at any auto parts store in a minute- and quite flexible also.... Too bad they don't have garden hose ends for them!

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=hydraulic&keyword=HHNB

On edit, I think I really will use hydraulic hoses on the washer. Just add an adapter, have a 2950 PSI safety factor, and save a bit of money over the cost of the floodsafes.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=916-1496&catname=hydraulic

And here is a beauty for the dishwasher- 15 bucks and 12,000psi burst!

Try and find that quality at home depression.

Last edited:

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
In response to the SS braided hoses, I've changed two recently that had burst,
Last one was a supply line under a kitchen sink, someone was home so no damage

I always change out the hoses when I install new appliances, or on rentals to a remodel up grade, goal is about every 5 years.

Michael

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Good information - All those so called SS wrapped supply lines from china should be suspect, because you really do not know what is inside - probably just a cheap vinyl tube.

Its no mystery how to build a great hose. The best washer line would be a 3,000 or 4500 PSI hydraulic line. I have some on my excavator operating at 4500PSI for 15 years under incredible strain and shock inside and out. And you can have them made at any auto parts store in a minute- and quite flexible also.... Too bad they don't have garden hose ends for them!

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=hydraulic&keyword=HHNB

On edit, I think I really will use hydraulic hoses on the washer. Just add an adapter, have a 2950 PSI safety factor, and save a bit of money over the cost of the floodsafes.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=916-1496&catname=hydraulic

And here is a beauty for the dishwasher- 15 bucks and 12,000psi burst!

Try and find that quality at home depression.

Which adapters do you recommend? I wouldnt want to get a good hose and have the adapter go.

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Why dont they make pex washing machine hoses? Wouldn't that be cheaper and last forever?

pex_washer_hose.jpg

Arfeller

Reaction score
I like that since 1989 they haven't had a failure.
And the 20 year warranty.

http://www.floodchek.com/

I remember walking into a friends home this Summer with the standard hoses and seeing three inches of water in her basement.
If you can imagine this, I pulled her toilet off and let the water in the basement drain down the closet flange.

I went to the web page today and was about to order the hoses but noticed something odd. If you click on the Buy Now tab and look at your sizing options they all say 5" or 7". This must be a typo and they mean 5' and 7' correct? I sent them some feedback on this at the website. Or am I just missing something?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks