New Kitchen Sink Wall Bend Extension?

Users who are viewing this thread

schwem

Reaction score
Just got new granite counters and of course, new sinks to boot.

Went to reinstall the garbage disposal and even with the P-Trap all the way up the garbage disposal discharge tube I am about 1.5 in low on the wall side of the wall bend. I really don't want to cut in the wall to lower the drain pipe. Have found multiple P-Trap extension tubes, but I need it on the wall bend side, not the P-trap side.

Can't seem to find anything that will extend the wall bend (down, not out) and I'm running on one sink right now with an impatient wife to boot. Took a picture of the problem - see attachment.

Anyone seen this problem before and can make a suggestion on how to fix without digging into the wall??

Many thanks!

Attachments

• ptrap.jpg
    ptrap.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 941

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Almost all new granite counters with new deep sinks have the problem, and yet the kitchen remodel outfits act like they've never seen it.
Normally if a customer is getting new countertops, I suggest lowering the drain 3" in the wall before the cabinets go back in.

Of course you can mickey mouse it by flipping the bend and creating a deeper trap, this way to tough to keep from falling off, or you can buy solvent weld plastic fittings and glue something up. In otherwards, Mickey Mouse it.

p-trap_reverse_dearborn.jpg

Updated 4/30/2014
Dearborn makes a trap that can be reversed.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Terry pretty much nailed it. You should have lowered the drain in the wall while the cabinets were out, and your cabinet company should have forseen this situation. Happens all the time.

If you make the trap deeper by cobbling it together, it will always drain too slow.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; If you make the trap deeper by cobbling it together, it will always drain too slow.

It will not drain slower, but a "reversed" trap "J" bend will be difficult to keep from coming apart when it is bumped.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks