Instant Hot Water Dispenser Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiko

Reaction score
I have an Insinkerator instant hot water dispenser model SST-FLTR 2/3 Gallon. Lately, the water it dispenses is spitting and sputtering, as if air is getting into the system somehow. It happens randomly and is not related to the aerator. Any ideas of how air is getting into the system? There doesn't seem to be any leaks under the sink.

Kiko

Reaction score
I turned down the thermostat and ran out all the hot water in the tank. It still spits and sputters, even with cold water, so air must be getting in somewhere. Are there any seals in the tank that could be tightened up?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Air does NOT get into that unit. It is NOT under any pressure so there are no "seals" to tighten. When you "open" the faucet handle you send water into the tank and that forces water out of the tank and out of the spout. The only way air could get INTO the tank is if some water leaked out , or boiled away, so there was a space for air to take its place.

Kiko

Reaction score
I just talked to a service tech at Insinkerator. He said there is an in internal aspiration valve in the tank that could have gone bad, and since it is not fixable, he will send me out a new tank.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I was going to guess, that valve is there to let air out so that the tank can fill with water. This is necessary to ensure the heating element is covered with water and doesn't burn up. The valve would close when the tank was at it's design fill height. If it leaked, you'd get water out. Once the tank is full the first time, it may never open again, as the incoming water pushes the stored hot out. It sounds to me that the thermostat is bad, and the water is hotter than design. Then, when you open the valve, because the pressure is off, it flashes to steam on the way out.

Kiko

Reaction score
I mentioned that the water sputters even after all the hot water is gone and only cold water is coming out. I don't see how there could be any steam getting through. Even if a fraction of the water "flashes to steam," it would surely condense back to liquid with all that cold water around it. Anyway, a new tank should fix the problem, unless air is getting in via one of the lines.

jammy

Reaction score
Kiko: What was the final conclusion? I have the same issue. Did the new tank work?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kiko: What was the final conclusion? I have the same issue. Did the new tank work?

The fact that the OP never reported back after he said he was going to get a new IHH, may suggests that his condition went away.

These units are not known to last a life time, and IMHO not worth fixing. I would replace it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks