Types of water conditioning / softener

Users who are viewing this thread

jtaoj

Reaction score
hi, i need to replace an older water softener. it is all plumbed. is there some place good to do research on the types of units to consider, brands, ratings, etc.?

thanks in advance.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Start by looking up your brand of unit, if there is a name on it.

There are large brand named units, Box Store brands ..

jtaoj

Reaction score
hi, been a while, still shopping. My wife had a local company come in. The brand is Superior Water. They recommend a unit installed at about $1800.

I have read a ton in this forum. I really don't get the sizing piece very well. I can replace this myself I am sure. Family of 5 (teenagers and parents), 3 baths.

Now, when I see a Fleck 5600 at say 48000 grains, does that also come with the tank and brine tank?

I need to act fast...my wife signed on the dotted line but I have a couple of days. Seems like I am easily paying $800 too much and not sure on this system. Local company been around for a long time.

SOS!!!!!!!

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
That would be 1.5 cubic foot of media... with a standard 9lbs of salt for a capacity of 33000........

I would rather have the Fleck 2510 with meter.........

There are on line dealers that come and go........ so care there... but prices can be under 1200....

There should be a brine tank with the media tank ..

Some times they will have the bypass as an extra which in my view is just wrong it should be standard... a choice of bypass ok, but it needs to be standard.....
If you are handy and can do things on your own .. then maybe the on line.. but do not bet the bank for warranty down the road as I have heard of companies no longer in business.....

What kind of control and size of tank and warranty for the 1800?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can find almost the same unit online cheaper. Superior Water does not make the unit, they just sell one under their name. It's like WalMart has Sam's choice. They don't make it, but their name is on it.

jtaoj

Reaction score
OK, i talked to the sales guy from Superior. They use a brand named Erie. This is a smart chip model, 48,000 grains. Any thoughts on this brand?

thanks,

Jeff

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Erie is good, but often parts are harder to come by.

Not sure about their new computer boards.... I still like the fool proof 3200 timer assembly from fleck... takes a licking and just runs and runs and runs.........

JKERN

Reaction score
I agree with Alaska the Erie has it's place but for a diy'er you are gonna have a hard time finding parts just due to the fact that there are not a lot of erie people out there. As a dealer if you ever have to deal with the head company they are lets say less than interested in trying to help. Plus if the Erie is that much there are a lot of high quality valves for less that you can get parts for and that are going to be around for a long time. Try to stick with Clack, Fleck, or Autotrol the big three are always your safe bet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks