Help with treatment

Users who are viewing this thread

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
What I am looking for is a recommendation for equipment (source would be nice) at a good price. Here is what I want to do. I have done experiments with the actual water.

Water source is about 3 gpm from a deep well. This is the pacing flow for all operations before the atmospheric bulk storage.

I want to add chlorine (or ozone, air, etc.) and ferric chloride to precipitate/flock primarily arsenic, and anything else that gets caught up in the process. Testing shows that chlorine and ferric chloride gets rid of the arsenic. I would not mind reducing the overall Ph of the final water. It is running about 8.2 or a bit more in the existing system.

Based on about 1/2 hour contact time I would feed something around a 120 gallon non-bladder tank for some margin. This would be followed by a filter bed. Top vs bottom feed/removal would be welcome information. From specs, I could generate up to 20 gpm backwash flow of filtered water through the backwashable filter from the primary household system.

Well pump is capable of generating any required pressure in these early stages. I would install a bladder tank and pressure switch to control the well pump. To some extent the pump is variable speed. This is probably not an important factor. In all likelyhood the bladder tank in this stage will be fairly large to minimize pump cycling. The pump is what it is and it is not like you expect. Please do not confuse this issue with other stuff.

After contact time, I would probably run the output through a back-washable filter. Output of this filter would go to a large capacity bulk storage tank at atmospheric pressure. Filter controller is required as well as is the filter itself. Best long term price/performance point desired. Filter should be maintainable by me and have a reasonable lifetime and maintenance cost. I would prefer to eliminate residual chlorine if that is the approach used for pretreatment processing. Ultimate use of water is general household use, drinking, and sensitive plant watering (e.g. orchids).

From the bulk tank the system would use a centrifugal pump to pressurize the household water system. This is an existing system and contains an ultra-filter. The ultra-filter is removing a sub-half micron clay. It also gets rid of iron, manganese and a bit of the arsenic in the current system that seem to be associated with the clay or of similar particle size. The flocking stage may remove this. Initial experiments suggest this will happen. Only experimental results will demonstrate the systemic efficacy. If possible the UF will be eliminated because it is a flow constrictor, and really quite expensive. A side objective is to remove the ultra-filter in the revised system.

Dosing of the chlorine (ozone, etc.) and ferric chloride needs to be metered based on water volume. The volume measurement and dosing mechanisms need to be highly reliable. Sensors warning of required refills or malfunction are desirable. If necessary I can provide electronic intelligence to coordinate devices responsible for dosing and backwash.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks