Joining poly pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Odysseus99

Reaction score
Hi folks-

I've decided to use poly pipe on my 5 acres for water distribution because it is longer lasting than pvc, and less poisonous. It's more expensive and harder to find, but I found a distributor near San Francisco, F+P in Brisbane, that is real cooperative and stocks 200psi in small sizes. But, joining poly is more difficult. It doesn't glue, so you either have to fuse it with a speacial fusing machine or use barbed fittings with hose clamps, or use some special compression fittings they have at F+P which look nice. Made of polypropylene.

You can rent the fusing machine but my place is a 5 hour drive away so that's impractical. Too expensive to buy. So, I'm reluctantly leaning toward barbed or compression fittings.

Anyone have experience with joining poly with mechanical, not fused, fittings? Are they reliable? Sure look easy and simple. All I'm going to do is terminate the poly pipe with male adapters and do the Ts, valves, etc. with pvc or copper.

Thanks

JG

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I am three hours from SF, and there are 6 suppliers in an hours drive that can bring in the PE next day for about the same price as one another.

So I don't think you need drive 5 hours at all.

Few people fuse pipe under 3" diameter, but use insert fittings. You will need to warm the pipe with hot water to do it correct or even to get the pipe on the fitting. Use SS or brass and 2 or 3 clamps each.

Compression fittings on the exterior of the pipe would be best if your use is horizontal, not hanging in a well, but I have not been able to find them.

What size are you using, what length, and what price are they quoting per foot?

http://www.endot.com/support/endopure/1

You well guys will find on this page a chart showing the [so-called recently] "the dirty little secret" of PE pipe in wells with a maximum drop length by PSI and shut off pressure!!

And for this poster, here is another debate on insert fittings:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?37013-Polyethylene-Pipe-Issue

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just make sure and use either brass or stainless fittings and oppose the clamps. Warm the pipe before inserting the fitting and use no pipe dope or tape at all.

Odysseus99

Reaction score
Thanks, Ballvalve and Tom Sawyer.

I'm going to use 1-1/4" pipe to run 500 feet downhill with vertical drop of 50-60 feet to feed sprinkler irrigation on a small orchard, 2 dozen trees. From the well I'll run uphill 250 feet with 1" to fill the 2500 gallon tank with a low flow rate pump. Branch lines at 3/4" will feed various hose bibs and drip irrigation stations. Prices quoted by P+F for 200 psi poly pipe are $1/foot for 1-1/4, .65 for 1" and .45 for 3/4.

Please tell me the names and cities of the other suppliers you are talking about. P+F distributors in Brisbane, 511 Tunnel Ave, 415-467-4630 can supply you with polypropylene compression fittings that look well made to me, cost $15 each for 1-1/4.

JG

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
At least for the 1.25" downhill run, You could save a ton with PVC in 20' lengths, especially if you have a bunch of branch lines.. 1" would likely suffice also. The prices are about average for the PE.

Yellow pages under mechanical suppliers or such, plumbing & electric supply, every town seems to have one... Tell them the price you were quoted.

Thanks for the coupler link.

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
Hi folks-

I've decided to use poly pipe on my 5 acres for water distribution because it is longer lasting than pvc, and less poisonous. It's more expensive and harder to find, but I found a distributor near San Francisco, F+P in Brisbane, that is real cooperative and stocks 200psi in small sizes. But, joining poly is more difficult. It doesn't glue, so you either have to fuse it with a speacial fusing machine or use barbed fittings with hose clamps, or use some special compression fittings they have at F+P which look nice. Made of polypropylene.

You can rent the fusing machine but my place is a 5 hour drive away so that's impractical. Too expensive to buy. So, I'm reluctantly leaning toward barbed or compression fittings.

Anyone have experience with joining poly with mechanical, not fused, fittings? Are they reliable? Sure look easy and simple. All I'm going to do is terminate the poly pipe with male adapters and do the Ts, valves, etc. with pvc or copper.

Thanks

JG

Will you bury this pipe?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks