Just What Does Ian Gills Understand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This is an example of an outstanding citizen. Giving up his guns to keep the country safer.

There is no need to keep a firearm in this day and age. That is what we have the Police for.

Or are these guys somehow deficient at their job? Do you need to keep guns in America because the Police are no good?

I trust my safety to them. And my baton.

Wanna go bear hunting?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Bear hunting?

Most Americans have never seen a bear, let alone have the need to hunt one.

Palin has. But she's also rich. So needs to be taxed more.

None of you will ever be rich, except the guy on here who owns his own baseball team.

So drop the dream. And God Bless England.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
But you wouldn't shoot the little thing, would you Cookie?

Last year in the whole of America, there were three bear-related deaths. That's right....three.

Over 30,000 Americans in the same year died as a result of guns.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
That one particular bear was probably small at around 350 pounds. He was sitting under my tree eating a granola bar which I shared with him. He sits on my porch and we wrap grape vines together, he leaves me alone as long as I share the grapes generously. He is a friendly. He had a cut over his eye one day which I doctored up. He respects me, but I respect him more. The neighbors get alittle tiffed over him being fed, donuts, ( his favorite) apples, and granola, and one day they tried to shoot him, instead taking out my water barrel and putting a few slugs in the front of my camp on the wall. They claimed they were target shooting, but I am afraid, my bear was the target. He never bothers anyone and is getting old with me. He is now gray-haired. A few years ago, he brought his youngins around for me to see. I admired them from the distance. He has made the newspaper many times in my area because I did columns on wildlife, camping and hiking. I got a huge response with many people sending in their stories of one, a Sneaky Snake which was funny, all kinds of animal doings. I loved them.

I think I answered your question if I would shoot him. Although, one day, I nearly had to thanks to my husband's stupidity. That was the day I threatened him with the D-Word, if he didn't stop playing with the bears and wanting to feed him, handfeed him bologna.

Our bear, his name is the Yard Sale Bear, by the way, came down this one particular day. I could see he was moody. We were sitting on the porch and he was sitting under the tree you see in the picture. Well, my beloved went inside and got his pound of square bologna out and started up the hill to him. I said, easily, " ah, I wouldn't do that... he looks grumpy."

As all men, what does women know.

So, he continued up the hill. The bear started walking away from him. Well, he had to follow with his hand out with the square bologna. Then, the bear stopped, turned his head to look backwards, giving him the hairy-eyeball. I said easily, " okay, come down now, now..."

The bear walked, he walked. I watched with my eyes getting bigger.

Then, the bear stopped turned around again, this time, looking meaner.

I said easily, " if you don't come down now, I am going to divorce you, I swear if I have to shoot this bear..."

The bear started walking. My nearly divorced husband started walking with the square bologna.

THEN, the bear stopped. HE stood up. He turned around. His fur stood straight up.

I stood up. I easily went inside got the gun, which at the time we only took the 22, and came outside. I started to aim, and I was so mad... it was a coin toss at WHO...

My beloved husband backed down, never turning his back, just walking back a step at a time, and once, a few feet away the bear got back down on all 4's and walked away.

The point to this story is they don't like friggin square bologna

*Addt note for Ian about a 22, it ain't going to kill a bear, it would only make him madder.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
We have bears and lions like you guys have rappers out east. The rappers are much more dangerous.

Cookie: NEVER feed a bear, you know its a death sentence for him. Against the law too.

My trusty sidearm has scared and educated many bears to keep away from the ignorant humans that would kill such a noble beast.

Used to have a FULL TIME lion killer here on the county payroll. Killed thousands, sadly and finally they put him to pasture. But they are back, and really a menace - found a few "watching" me from a distance.

Beautiful animals, but I would never let my kid hike without his trusty German Shepherd. Or myself without a weapon.

But I would much rather meet a mountain lion than a crack rapper in DC on a dark night.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
But most Americans do not live in the outback with lions and bears for company.

They think they do, which is why I am trying to awake them from this myth.

Show me your bear, and I'll let you keep your gun.

Else the Government will take it away from you.

And you will comply as Americans love rules.

Why do Americans love rules so much?

Ballvalve

Reaction score
But YOU live with 'lions and bears' in DC that have a far lower system of ethics, intelligence, and instinct than my wildlife. At least a lion kills for a natural and valid reason, sustenance. And lions RAISE up their offspring and nurture them far better than many humans.

Only humans and housecats seem to kill for sheer pleasure, therefore, you need a sidearm even more than myself.

Unfortunately, you might have to buy a stolen one in an alley if you are not a citizen. And that would be your main reason to choose citizenship, that most unique American right to bear arms....

As to rules- Americans notoriously dislike rules, just after the Italians. At least the ones I am exposed to.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This bear won't attack anyone....

b_bear_rug.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
I would skin a roadkill bear, and have, but that guy would have been better left in the forest.

Shoot deer. Let the noble bear try and survive the onslaught of asphalt.

And do not forget the golden rule: If you kill it, you eat it.

Had a nice Sparrow dinner once when the ol' man caught me blasting a treeful. Made a lasting point. Plucking sparrows is hard work.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Another excellent reason to ban guns Ballvalve. Thank you.

To protect America's dwindling natural habitat.

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, Ian, where my property in the mountains is located is very rustic. I share my property with bear dens where my creek runs. We share the same water. I flip over rocks looking for fossils knowing that they are there somewhere. To go into these parts of the mountains where black bear are plentiful without a shot gun or scatter gun, or what I also carry, a 30'06 rifle, isn't too smart. I love those bears, I love camping and hiking, and I live to be one with nature, but, it is also, risky with the bears when you can't take shelter. To go without something to protect yourself incase, you come upon a bear just coming out of his hibernation & is hungry, or a mom walking with their young ones; or sometimes, from just a bad bear like a bad person. Not taking something with a big enough gauge is not too smart. I take a shot gun and rifle to protect my kids, my company, and me; hoping, I will never have to use it.

But, you could always try talking him out of it. :) But, I am not sure that bear is going to listen to you, Ian. For one, he may not understand your accent and your King's English, he is afterall, an American Bear. He might think you might taste better, coming from England and all, lol.

Come to think of it, you could use your bobbie, but, their heads are pretty darned hard. Won't work Ian.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
My advice then Cookie is is lose the gun and move. Or just don't go out.

Cookie

Reaction score
Don't ever go camping then, Ian. Just curious, what would you do, if you did go camping, in the woods in the forest, and a bear came charging at you, Ian, what would you do? What would you do to protect your loved ones?

Cookie

Reaction score
Ian, we are different than your England. We all were raised around guns, and bows. I can do either. I grew up fishing with my dad, I was using a bow he made at 5 years old and shooting into bales of hay, I was cleaning his guns at 10. We were instructed on the safety and how to use them. A mistake a parent makes is to make their kids curious about guns etc. Teach them. Maybe, you don't have forests in your country but here we do. And, I won't allow anyone to use my camp property without toting something to protect theirselves, just in case. Something more than a club, Ian.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
what would you do, if you did go camping, in the woods in the forest, and a bear came charging at you, Ian, what would you do?

I'd run at him. I'm 275 pounds. He'd move.

You do not need guns. Like you say, you have bows, crossbows, knives, bats, stones, everything. I don't care what you carry.

Except guns.

The crucial difference is that none of these other weapons can kill 6 people in 30 seconds.

6 Americans.

6 American children.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Okay,
I think this bear is a Whistler Blackcomb bear going through garbage. This used to be at the end of the last ski run, and then we would hop on a bus and go back to the Whistler gondola, which was across the street from my parents condo.
Avoid the bears, hop on the bus, and head back. Now there is a beautiful village where the garbage dump used to be.

Attachments

• blackcomb_bear.jpg
    blackcomb_bear.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 366

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Another excellent reason to ban guns Ballvalve. Thank you.

To protect America's dwindling natural habitat.

Here, you have made an error. Habitat reduction has no connection whatsoever with guns.

In fact, it would be quite the reverse; the honorable hunter, of which most are, would be the most vociferous advocate of habitat protection.

It is the hunter that pounds his head on the steering wheel and sheds a tear when the new Waldomart and lowes pave over the swamps and wild mushrooms, the frogs and salamanders that once ran free, and where the hunter spent his days growing up.

If we were to speak of wildlife, there is a general increase in the population of most game mammals, as children today rather use guns in the ether world. Here, they slaughter fictional characters in a most disturbed way that debases the traditional father to son transfer of weapons and their ethical use.

I think it is clear that the sensational shootings are brought about compliments of our deeply disturbed media. And parents with the brains of slugs and amoeba's.

Hereabouts, the population of deer, bear, lions, and even squirrels have reached huge proportions. You really could hunt with a spear again.

The problem is the expanding population of the human species, again, one of the only that kill for pleasure and perversion. The reduction, education, and stabilization of humans expansion is our only hope.

And at least in America, weapons must remain a part of our life as much as a figurehead royalty matters to the Brits.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Let Federally-paid marshalls or rangers deal with the culling.

There is no need for ordinary citizens to do that here.

You're not a backward country....any more.

The hunter must be brave and honorable. He must summon the courage to give up his right to own a gun so that those who do harm with guns are also not allowed to own one.

But so far it looks like hunters in America are just too plain selfish and cowardly to do that.

And, media or not, there are a lot of gun deaths in this country.

Once again, in my country a gun death would be national news. Not local news like it is here. You guys seem to accept gun murder as normal without thinking.

It is not normal for a child to get caught in the cross-fire anywhere. It is not normal for a child to take his father's gun to school anywhere. It is not normal for a member of Congress and six others to get shot anywhere.

Get my drift?

What you have going on here with guns is a national disaster. The welfare of the many must overrule the rights of the few.

And that means your guns are going to have to go.

I'd start saying goodbye to them.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
If that bear was running at you, that bow would be of no use. Did you ever hear of Timothy Treadwell?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell

I'd run at him. I'm 275 pounds. He'd move.

You do not need guns. Like you say, you have bows, crossbows, knives, bats, stones, everything. I don't care what you carry.

Except guns.

The crucial difference is that none of these other weapons can kill 6 people in 30 seconds.

6 Americans.

6 American children.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks