frozen pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

BSA_Bob

DIY Member
Reaction score
This winter has been a hard one in lower mich. I have a short section of pipe that freezes underground under concrete. I have a vent that ties in to the main line ,on a "y"pvc.I can send a hose and a bag back up that line from a close trap,--- just before the septic tank.Then turn on the hot water.

I have plunged and plunged, trying to geat salt brine to the frost thats doing this.Do you think if i keep at this .......ooooohh i also have constant heat blowing into the room hoping for relief this way, ...this thing will thaw out before spring. I use it all the time. The wind comes from a certain angle, ...............she freezes upThought maybe there was some new idea for this as i'm retired and have been for awhile. thanks for any input you may have bob s

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The salt makes sense.
Once water passes through a water heater, it will freeze faster.
Can you use a heating pad? We need sparky's on this question.

BSA_Bob

DIY Member
Reaction score
Theres a"y"-just out from the o/s of the wall, where the vent connects into the sewer, on top of that concrete pad, 8' of sewer. A trap that is down about a foot[i know i didn't put it deep enuff for michigan winters.]Anyhow i got to thinking .........hhhymmmmm it must have "frost closure" from either the vent which is some distance from the sewer. I reasoned---if i shove my rubber hose, backwards on this p trap i might be able to turn on the hot water back up to the ice. so i shoved and it stopped .So i shoved her hard.and it went up to where the frozen spot was believed to be.I walked in my garage and looked at the floor drain .....whhoooooossssshh away went the water.I cleaned up everything and laid a piece of 3/4" osb, on that line on top of the concrete. til spring.The wind whistles around the corner to a garage covered patio, The wind is colder than,--- well lets jus say its bitter cold.It whirls around under that patio-giving that concrete a shot of cold air that it can't help but freeze, with the air whirling around on its way out.
Hot water did the trick---------------- thanks guys for the replies.

bob s

Ps ..............My oldest son dug the septic tank hole by hand ..so i told him to quit i would hook it all up from there, what i for got was , i would not have enough pitch if i didn't, get line close to the bottom of the concrete, Should have made him keep digging, When the day comes that i stop learning ,will be th day the wife puts me in a box and plants me! SeeYa !!!
hot water always freezes first.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks