Tiny Bathroom Toilet Blues

Users who are viewing this thread

operadad

Reaction score
k-3564.jpg
Two bathrooms: a hall bath which is 5x8, and a "master" bath which is 5x7.
(they are small but they are ours)

The hall was remodeled several years ago. At the time we moved the toiled flange from it's weird and slopping rough in location to a standar 12--with much breaking of slab. Now that we have discovered "in-wall" tanks, that is probably what will be going in there (along with plugging the 15" closet and connecting directly to the vent/drain in the wall--but that's not the subject of this question.)

In our hall bath we want something smaller and easy to clean (e.g. skirted). The Kohler Saile seams fit the requirement quite well (and yes I know that Kohler is not always favored here). However, we would love to install an in-wall tank, but we don't want to hammer out the slab again. So, is there a toilet model that uses an in-wall tank AND a traditional floor mount drain?

--Fred

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/detail.jsp?prod_num=3564

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Floor mount, in wall tank?
No.

Certainly not for residential use.
The in-walls are European design by Geberit, which can use several brands of bowls on the mount.

If a brand isn't favored as much, it's been issues related to quality control and plugging or/rinse issues.
I like how the Kohler toilets look. But they can put a crunch in the labor budget at times.
I told the head engineer that going with the extra big flapper may be a mistake, and now they have a redesign on it.
This stuff isn't rocket science. And they still haven't fixed the lower portion of the trapway. It still takes too tight of a bend. At least American Standard could figure that one out.
If I were you, I would go ahead with the style that fits for you. It's going to work.
The Saile uses a pretty standard dual flush tower that should work pretty well.

Comparing some bowls that are dual flush

geberit-in-wall-photo.jpg

Last edited:

operadad

Reaction score
No.
The in-walls are European design by Gerberit, which can use several brands of bowls on the mount.
I didn't think so, but one can hope, it would have been a nice solution in the given environment.

...If I were you, I would go ahead with the style that fits for you. It's going to work.
The Saile uses a pretty standard dual flush tower that should work pretty well.

The Jury is still out, We have a few kids and our current toilets are super-sonic Fushmate powered Eljers. Problem is that they are big, and the bathroom is small. In addition to the Kohler, we also like the Toto options (part of how I found this site) so we might go for the Aimes or similar. Our goal is to get something that is smaller (yet still elongated), and easy to clean (skirted, one piece). I have no problem getting into the wall or moving pipes, but I don't want to mess with the floor.

Our master bath is "more fun-er-er" ( I have children, they came up with the phrase). Being only 5x7 anything to save space is great. We really like the in-wall tank here: clean lines, easy to clean floor, and my favorite, a toilet height that allows for "more natural-er-er" squat position when in use... In other words, lower. I'll build small bump out so that I don't have to move the vent. That question will come later
aimes_andy_front.jpg

Toto Aimes

aimes_andy_angle.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The wall mounts save the most space, assuming you don't have to build the wall out too much to fit it.
You can order the inwall for either a 2x4 or 2x6 wall opening.
I have a small master bath, and I'm strongly considering the wall mount option with a bidet seat. I have a door that swings in, and it has to be an elongated bowl.

The Toto CST416M Aquia is 27-1/4" for elongated. The Aimes is 28-1/4"

Toto CT418 wall hung bowl
ct418_wall.jpg

Last edited:

ChuckT

Reaction score
I'm also considering a Wall hung TOTO Aquia CT418FG for a remodel I'm planning on a small-ish Master bath. I have 2x4 contruction which limits the in wall tanks I have to choose from.

I'm wondering if the TOTO in wall tank WT151M or WT152M is same as the Geberit 111.728.00.1? Visually it looks like TOTO might just buy the 111.728.00.1 from Geberit and put their name on it. The WT151 is a new product for TOTO. Would I be better going with the Geberit since they have years more experience building in wall tanks?

How reliable are Geberit in wall tanks and how available are spare parts? Since the TOTO product is new, the same questions probably can't be answered.

Best regards,
Chuck

SeaSkye

Reaction score
I'm going to be turning one old bath into two small ones, and am considering wall mount toilets such as the TOTO Aquia. The 2 would be in adjacent nooks, at 90 degree angles from each other. Someone on this forum suggested installing the in-wall tank up in the attic, which got me to thinking: would it be possible or make sense to have the two toilets share a single tank? It would almost never be the case that both would have to flush at once, so it seems like it could work. Thoughts?

SeaSkye

Reaction score
Thanks Terry! I thought it would be too much to hope for.

Just for context, I got the idea from this post by papadisco, who had installed a Caroma Walvit. Maybe it has a different tank system, because he also mentioned a hefty bracket that holds the bowl, separately from the tank:

"Lastly, next time I'd get creative with my in wall tank location. I installed the Caroma thinking of a typical toilet installation: put the tank in the wall behind the toilet. In fact the tank can be mounted anywhere; put it in the next county if you like. All it has to be is at an elevation higher than the toilet. The higher you put it the more powerful the flush to the point where it actually comes with restrictor washers that you can install in order to slow the water down. If I had the option, I'd put the tank in an attic or other utility space where I could get to it easily, but where it would be a silent partner in flushing."

phxphun

Reaction score
No.

The in-walls are European design by Gerberit, which can use several brands of bowls on the mount.

It looks like a few are now being made by a company called Nameeks. They have around 6 floor-mount models that use in-wall tanks. (In my opinion, this is a GREAT idea).

The price-point doesn't seem all that bad to me, considering the added aesthetic and minimal overall space used... a nice plus for smaller powder rooms.

Nameeks_Losagna_Floor_Mount.jpg

I'd like to know how well these toilets work.... flush power, graffiti marks, etc. Maybe Terry could comment with an opinion, just based on the design drawings? (Full specs for all models are on the last few pages of their catalog here... http://www.nameeks.com/images/nameeks1/GSI%20Catalog%202012.pdf )

Nameeks_Losagna_Floor_Mount_Specs.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you're willing to create a non-standard toilet connection to satisfy this particular toilet, it looks like it should work. If new construction was being done, it may be fairly inexpensive difference in costs, but on a remodel, it could be significant. Then, consider that while most people don't change toilets all that often, you would likely be required to do some major rework to ever consider putting something else in. The likelyhood of finding a direct replacement is slim come the next remodel time. then, if you find it doesn't really work well, your costs would really go up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks