Insulating Water Well Line into Interior Walls of Cottage - Chases for Copper Lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
Will have a deep water well installed soon in my northern Michigan cottage. I will keep the heat on to prevent the pipes from freezing during the winter, and will run the lines through the inside walls and chases. Any good ideas on the placement and construction of chases for the copper piping?

The water line from the well will be below the frost level, but how does one guard against the pipes freezing as they move up toward ground level and into the cottage. Also, what is the best way for them to enter the cottage which is on a crawl space of 24" above ground. The cottage is of stick (2 x 4) construction, and is vinyl sided.

Have heard anecdotal suggestions about using heat tape, casing the pipe in 4" schedule 40 pvc, etc. There must be a more professional technique to deal with this issue.

Thanks for your help!

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Heat tracing and insulating is professional.

Where else do you expect the warmth to come from?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Treat the crawl space as if it were your basement. Sealing the place up and keeping it above freezing will allow you to build it just like any other house with a basement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks