Question on Replacing Aquasource Shower Head Cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

davet1

Reaction score
I just had a bathroom remodel done and the contractor has disappeared. The shower head is an Aquasource brand, bought at Lowe's. Apparently, when it was installed, the fellow installed the hot/cold lines incorrectly. Now, when the handle of the shower control flow is all the way down, and the water should be cold, it's hot. And when you turn the handle up to the top (where the red is indicated) the water is cold. So you can use it, but when you turn the water handle down (for off) the water gets almost scalding. And you certainly can't sell the house with this weird defect.

Thinking it was a simple fix, I had a Plumber come look at it. He said because these brands are sold as kits at places like Lowes, he doesn't know how to get a replacement cartridge. He said what I needed, unless I want someone to have to tear everything out and redo it, is to get a "reverse cartridge" which would fit where the Aquasource cartridge is. Does this make sense? He said he doesn't deal with these kits and doesn't know if there's a reverse cartridge made for it or not.

The Shower head is Loews Part No. 71441, and here is what it looks like:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_71441-11899...Ntt=71441&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=71441

Please help! Thanks.

Davet1

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On some models, the cartridge can be rotated 180-degrees after you remove the handle...if you're lucky, this may fix it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Since Aquasource seems to be lowes private label, we will have no idea if the cartridge is reversible, or if they sell a "reverse" cartridge. There is probably an 800 number on the paper work that came with it. Give them a call.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Very few valves need a "reversing cartridge". The majority just have to be reversed, usually by rotating the cartridge 180 degrees but some do it by other means.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
aquasource-garner-handle.jpg

aquasource-garner-parts.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks