(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toto Flush lever complaint

Default fixed with steel epoxy putty

Quote Originally Posted by ab8 View Post
    I agree too. See photo of lever, likely defective from day 1. I have e-mailed Toto; awaiting reply to see if they are willing to replace lever only for a nominal sum.
    i filled mine with steel epoxy putty - should help. i got the same reply from toto's customer service - basically they were no help. i also emailed their CEO and a few other executives - no reply.Name:  DSC02557 (Large).jpg
Views: 831
Size:  58.6 KB

Default A fix

Here is how I repaired this kind of lever: I cut 5mm off the end of a wire hanger from the closet (then put the hanger back), then heated up a pinch of polymorph plastic to 70C (with my lighter on a tin altoids lid) until it was clear, then moulded it by hand in to a ball and jammed it into the space above the damaged metal. Then at the now hot plastic filled gap I insted the bit of metal hanger. The plastic cools white, is strong and hard as nylon and the bit of hanger provides a metal wear point that is tougher than the original casting... better than new. I also reinforced the ABS bracket with the stuff since that can break too... 10 minute fix and I used <1% of my $10 bag of polymorph. (oh and I used some lighter fluid too)
    Name:  IMG_20130313_221514.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  52.3 KB
    I hate calling manufacturers...

Quote Originally Posted by ab8 View Post
    I agree too. See photo of lever, likely defective from day 1. I have e-mailed Toto; awaiting reply to see if they are willing to replace lever only for a nominal sum.

I have just had an issue with the drake flush lever however the problem seems to be in the plastic part that goes thru the tank. The handle was sitting very low almost at say the 5:00 position. I lifted up on it and its back where it should be but I can't seem to be able to get it tight. Any suggestions would be appreciated

A couple of the photos gave me an idea. I had on hand a wooden shish kabob skewer and a stick of JB Weld (epoxy putty). I think this will do the trick, and cheaply. You can find JB Weld at most hardware and auto parts stores. As soon as you put your patch in place, test fit the black plastic screw in part - it rotates, clear any excess putty that might interfere with this before it hardens.

Last edited by sowsley; 06-23-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Default I think it's your tenants

Quote Originally Posted by Gleno View Post
    I am replacing my second failed Toto toilet flush lever, at a cost of about $28.00, and I am really dissatisfied with both the poor engineering of the part as well as the need to buy the entire assembly for want of the tiny plastic piece that was the root of both failures. The part that fails is a small plastic bracket that is the interface between the flush handle and the brass flush arm inside the tank. There is simply insufficient material and strength in the plastic bracket to tolerate the torque load of the flush motion. The part is brand- specific, therefore Toto has a captive market. They do not offer the plastic bracket alone as a purchase option. Clearly, Toto is aware of the issue, since at my local Toto dealer they have three racks of replacement levers for sale at $28.00 a pop. I find this to be outrageous corporate behavior, and consumer pressure is needed to correct the issue. As a property manager for 30 years, and a builder, this is absolutely unacceptable. Having the best-flushing toilet in the world is of little consequence if the service calls chew up your bottom line. Toyota would have fixed an issue like this.
    Over the past 20 years I have rented my property w/ 3 bathrooms. Half of those years I had no-name toilets and the other half Toto toilets. My plumber became the "Maytag repairman" when I went to Toto. Prior to that, he was out at my house at least once a month. I have never had a handle break on any of these Toto toilets... that is, until the last tenants moved in. They broke the part in question, and the way it broke it looks like it took a lot of effort (or as someone suggested, a foot used to flush it!). It is no coincidence that these tenants were the most abusive and disrespectful tenants I've had in all the past years combined. They even managed to sheer the metal on a rather heavy duty patio door lock that has worked perfectly fine for over 50 years! I think you might want to consider who you are renting to as a possible root cause of the handle failures.

DIY kid who loves toilets Starwarsith88's Avatar

I have never had any problems with our 2004 and 2005 TOTO Drakes with GMAX and those handles are original.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

Of the thousands of TOTO toilets I've sold, I rarely get calls for handles. But when I do, I can get them.
    Seriously Terry? I have five in my house and 3 have broken exactly where the original poster explained and I'm sure it's only time for the other two!

Quote Originally Posted by mrswohls View Post
    Seriously Terry? I have five in my house and 3 have broken exactly where the original poster explained and I'm sure it's only time for the other two!
    I have only one but it is failing exactly as described. No, neither my wife nor I flush with our feet. "Hey, not my problem, I subbed that out!" isn't an acceptable excuse. Yes, moving parts wear-- that's why they should be designed to resist wear, which this part wasn't. Six years to failure is fine if the part is cheap and easy to replace, which this part isn't. I make my living designing homes. No more Toto products in my specs; I can't trust the quality.

Last edited by Terry; 03-11-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added picture. It can be replaced in less then a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by M A Thomas View Post
    I have only one but it is failing exactly as described. No, neither my wife nor I flush with our feet. "Hey, not my problem, I subbed that out!" isn't an acceptable excuse. Yes, moving parts wear-- that's why they should be designed to resist wear, which this part wasn't. Six years to failure is fine if the part is cheap and easy to replace, which this part isn't. I make my living designing homes. No more Toto products in my specs; I can't trust the quality.
    Thanks to this forum for ideas on fixing. Have the exact same issue with the handle (2 Toto toilets, same handle PN 9592) in the 18 months I have lived in my house both have now broken. And like Thomas, we don't flush with our feet.

Quote Originally Posted by M A Thomas View Post
    Well that's just dumb. And I'm sure you doing that will send a powerful message to Toto.

I was pretty surprised to look inside my new Toto Drake and find this crappy flush rod. I didn't know these were all generic. It's kind of like buying a Mercedes and finding that the steering system is the same as on a Radio Flyer wagon. It it works flawlessly, I guess it's fine. But it begs the question; would it work better if it were better?

Quote Originally Posted by k9gardner View Post
    I didn't know these were all generic.
    You totally mis-interpreted if you got that idea from this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by k9gardner View Post
    I was pretty surprised to look inside my new Toto Drake and find this crappy flush rod
    That flush rod is a hell of a lot nicer than the rod that you'll find in a lot of toilets.

We have several of them, never a problem. If people jam anything really hard, over time, it will break.

As to generic parts, the genius of your Toto is the design of the trapway, and the flawless execution of the hard stuff to make, like the firing of stuff made out of clay.

It is also a good thing that various parts will work in the toilet. For example, Toto uses a number of different fill valves. One they make, one they buy from the US company Korky, which also makes their universal replacement fill valve. I personally prefer the Korky valve. Similarly, most toilets in the US use a standard fill valve. Lots of manufacturers install the Fluidmaster 400A as their fill valve, which is a cheaper valve, made in Mexico, but which also does the job.

Although Toto makes a flapper for its toilets, there are other flappers out there that will fit and will work well. American Standard has a zillion owners of its Champion 4s who wish that American Standard had just used a standard flush valve in the toilet, because they have had to disassemble the toilet and replace their proprietary flush valves due to leaks. Indeed, Korky now has a replacement flush valve which uses a flapper; this product will fit in the Champion 4, installing essentially the system that Toto has always used.

In short, what you bought is a high-quality product that is exceptionally-well-designed, exceptionally-well-made, and will last for decades. In that time, you will likely have to replace some wear parts. The ones in your Toto will always be easy to find and inexpensive to buy.

Now go ahead and love your toilet.