(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: filter for hydro-charger/air injector

Default filter for hydro-charger/air injector

I will be installing a hydro-charger before my pressure tank (bladderless) as part of my iron filter system.This is an older well that has not been run for awhile. I am afraid of clogging/damaging hydro-charger, manufacturer recommends a wye strainer (y-strainer), I have also been told to use a spin out sediment filter w/ 100 mesh, 152 micron. The hydro-charger goes in BEFORE the pressure tank so obviously the filter needs to as well. Opinions on putting these two filters before the pressure tank ?? Thanks
    Last edited by ugabulldog; 02-01-2011 at 02:12 PM.

The main problem with putting any kind of filter before the pressure switch is, if the filter clogs up, the pressure switch can’t shut off the pump, and you burn up the motor. I think the filter maybe less likely to clog up than the pipe after the air charger. Either way the pressure switch will not be able to shut off the pump. Sometimes you have to do this to make the system work. So put a 75 to 100 PSI pressure relief valve prior to any filter. It will pop off if the filter or pipe clog and save the motor.
    Last edited by valveman; 02-01-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Everything should go after the pressure tank and a separate retention or mixing tank with an automatic vent should be used instead of the pressure tank.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

the air injector works off the pump cycle si it has o go before i believe.

Many are before the pressure tank which makes you use the pressure tank as retention for the oxidation to take place but... all the Hydro Charger is is a venturi and any water movement through any air injection venturi is going to suck air into the water stream. Bladder type pressure tanks do not provide enough retention and you can end up not getting all the iron etc. out of the water. Air over water type tanks cause rust build up in the bottom that must be flushed out and they aren't plumbed to do that easily.

BTW, From 1987 to 6/2011 I refused to sell air injection because it is very problematic. The oxidation may be incomplete and it blocks pipes with a rust build up that chokes off water flow to the turbidity filter, which causes its mineral to fail due to rust build up.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Well Drilling/Service justwater's Avatar

air injection has improved lately.. check out www.aquatechnics.biz

that guy is local for me and really knows his stuff. i can only attest to the "odor oxidizer" products as they are all I've used, but they work really well.. I have had one at my home for a while now.. and installed several.