leathers not sealing

Users who are viewing this thread

Cabincrazy

Reaction score
i replaced the foot valve on my sand point well because it was cycling every five minutes. this was after replacing bad pressure tank this summer and can't seem to get the leathers to seal properly. the well is eleven years old in northern wi. there is alot of iron in the water. is it possible there is a buildup on the casing where the leathers seat would it help to shorten the 1" pipe a foot or so? the original leathers were neoprene and only one came up with foot valve and jet there is 40' of pipe now with about 8 ' of water above foot valve with a 1/2 horse wayne jet pump doing the work

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's possible that there is now a bad part of the casing where the leathers were seated. It's also possible that you have developed a leak in the casing somewhere that is letting the water back out. Have you noticed any extra sediment or dirty/off colored water?

I would raise or lower the jet a few feet and use regular cow-hide leathers. Sometimes the neoprene ones won't seal properly. Don't know what to make of the original one not coming out but nothing you can do about it now. What kind of drop pipe do you have?

Cabincrazy

Reaction score
drop pipe is steel dont think 2' pipe is leaking, water is nice and clean . if pipe was leaking wouldnt water possibly pool around pipe eventually? how long does it take for leathers to fully swell up ?

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
water would be nice and clean even if casing was leaking above leathers.. because it is pressurized.. so all water would be leaking out, not in.

sometimes a casing hole with single pipe jet will pool up around the casing, but many times the water will just go into the ground into any water vein between it and the surface so u might not ever see it

I don't know much about neoprene leathers, but if ur drop pipe is good, ur foot valve is good, and ur leathers are good.. but u still losing pressure with main valve cut off after pump+tank ..usually hole rusted in the steel casing.

Cabincrazy

Reaction score
headin up to cabin this weekend are the leathers fairly snug in 2" pipe after soaking them and installing on packer? is there a way to check for leaks/holes in casing other than drop 10' of pipe at a time fill with water and see if it goes down? its a fairly big leak, when priming if you stick your finger in priming hole and then remove it you can hear the vacuum . ill let you know after the weekend what i figure out seems so simple but ive been doing alot of headscratching with this one!

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Change to leathers and after soaking them in water until they are quit soft spread them out before installing them so that they go in the 2" pipe tight. This will make them seal. If you still have a vacuum leak I suspect you have a leak in the 2" casing. . . but I doubt that is the case.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Make sure you change the footvalve too and check the poppet in the jet. They can sometimes be bad but won't show it until installed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks