filter for hydro-charger/air injector

Users who are viewing this thread

ugabulldog

Reaction score
I will be installing a hydro-charger before my pressure tank (bladderless) as part of my iron filter system.This is an older well that has not been run for awhile. I am afraid of clogging/damaging hydro-charger, manufacturer recommends a wye strainer (y-strainer), I have also been told to use a spin out sediment filter w/ 100 mesh, 152 micron. The hydro-charger goes in BEFORE the pressure tank so obviously the filter needs to as well. Opinions on putting these two filters before the pressure tank ?? Thanks

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The main problem with putting any kind of filter before the pressure switch is, if the filter clogs up, the pressure switch can’t shut off the pump, and you burn up the motor. I think the filter maybe less likely to clog up than the pipe after the air charger. Either way the pressure switch will not be able to shut off the pump. Sometimes you have to do this to make the system work. So put a 75 to 100 PSI pressure relief valve prior to any filter. It will pop off if the filter or pipe clog and save the motor.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Many are before the pressure tank which makes you use the pressure tank as retention for the oxidation to take place but... all the Hydro Charger is is a venturi and any water movement through any air injection venturi is going to suck air into the water stream. Bladder type pressure tanks do not provide enough retention and you can end up not getting all the iron etc. out of the water. Air over water type tanks cause rust build up in the bottom that must be flushed out and they aren't plumbed to do that easily.

BTW, From 1987 to 6/2011 I refused to sell air injection because it is very problematic. The oxidation may be incomplete and it blocks pipes with a rust build up that chokes off water flow to the turbidity filter, which causes its mineral to fail due to rust build up.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
air injection has improved lately.. check out www.aquatechnics.biz

that guy is local for me and really knows his stuff. i can only attest to the "odor oxidizer" products as they are all I've used, but they work really well.. I have had one at my home for a while now.. and installed several.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks