Relocating Closet Flange Help

Users who are viewing this thread

monkeystomach

Reaction score
Hi Everyone; I need your help in relocating a closet flange. The current flange is a little over 14” from the finished wall, and I need it to be 12”, plus I need to move it over 3”. The biggest problem I am having is getting it closer to the wall because there is a sanitary tee that connects a 1.5” shower drain and sink drain, directly behind the closet flange (which prohibits me from moving it closer to the wall). I have attached pictures because I really cannot explain what I am dealing with.

My idea is to connect the shower and sink drain together and run a new 1.5” pip across the ceiling, down the wall and then use a sanitary tee to connect it to the vertical 3” pipe. Please let me know what you think and what I need to do to ensure it is done by code.

Thanks!
-Ed

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Using a "street Y" into the sanitary tee, instead of the "hubbed" one that is there, would solve your problem the easiest way. Your "hard" part is going to be to remove the pipe from the tee.

monkeystomach

Reaction score
Hi HJ,

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I cannot find the "street wye" fitting anywhere in my area. Would the plan that I stated above work, or is it seriously flawed?

monkeystomach

Reaction score
Can I use one of these? I would put it vertically against the back wall, connect the tub/sink drain to the 2" side inlet (using a 2" to 1 1/2" flush bushing), I would connect the closet flange with a 90 to the 3" sanitary hub, and then connect the vent and drain to the top and bottom hubs...

Sanitary-Tee-With-Right-Side-Inlet-3GUR2_AS01.JPG

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
On of the problems is that he said he also has to move the toilet 3" sideways, which means he has to do some replumbing. One of my replies must have "gotten lost" because I mentioned that he could just disconnect the drain from the "Y", then continue it to the wall and down to a "Y" in the vertical line, but that the "cottage tee" concept would also work as long as he did not rotate it to accomodate the 3" sideways shifting of the toilet.

Last edited:

monkeystomach

Reaction score
hj... i was going to do exactly that... disconnect the 1.5" drain from the horizontal wye, run it to the wall and then connect it to the vertical 3" drain using a new wye.... however this will not work because the hubs on the wye fitting are too "fat" and stick out past the studs, which would really bow the drywall...

that is why I am curious about using the sanitary tee w/ side inlet and connecting the tub/sink drain to the side inlet; i read where someone else posted that the inlet on that fixture can only be used as a vent and not a drain; is that true?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That fitting is how we connect MOST of our bath/shower drains in new buildings. So your plan is acceptable. However, there is a good possibility, because of where the 2" drain is located, that you will have to lower the tee to the point where ITS hub would also be inside the lower wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks