New Bathtub Stems

Users who are viewing this thread

justinweible

Reaction score
Recently I installed new stems and seets(sp) in my bathtub. Now the water turns on just fine, but you have to turn the knob around 3 full turns before any water starts to come out. The fourth turn and it is on full blast. Is this normal or did I do something wrong? The original hardware was American Standard Heritage facuet( I think) and I used a replacement 2k-2c/2k-2h part that I got a Lowes. Any help would be appreciated, if you have question/ I did not explain well enough please ask! My wife is driving me crazy about this!

Thank you!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The part numbers do not mean anything to me. If the stems are Aquaseals with the rubber "top hat" on the bottom, then they are oversized and sticking in the faucet barrels until the water pressure pushes them open. If they were the "retro" compression ones with regular washers then the washers or seats, may be loose.

justinweible

Reaction score
Yes.. Those are the parts that I put on... tightened the seats very tight, how would I tighten the washer?

Dugfresh

Reaction score
Sounds like the washer is being held on the seat somehow while the stem/handle is being turned on until there is sufficient movement allowing the water to force the valve open. Try wiggling it as you're turning it on to see if it opens sooner. It may just be getting stuck, have a slightly bigger size replacement part. Some replacemtent parts are better than others.

justinweible

Reaction score
Wiggling did not help... Should I get a different brand? I did not buy DANCO, it was some brand that lowes sold..

Asktom

Reaction score
It could be the Aquaseal washer is not snapped onto the end of the stem right so it is relying on the warter pressure to push it open rather than being pulled to the open position. Or, it could be a not so great part. I prefer the version with a regular washer on the bottom, which is interchangable. The Danco number is 2K-4 (2K-3 with the locknut).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks