Converting Light Fixture Box To Powered Outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiko

Reaction score
What's the most elegant way of doing this, without replacing the round light box with a standard receptacle box? It's in a living room, so I really don't want to use one of those ugly, gray metal "work box" receptacle covers that the hardware stores recommend. After wiring in the receptacle, can I just screw the receptacle into the existing box and then screw a nice 5" round decorative outlet cover to the receptacle?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You will probably need a "round grey work box plate" to adapt to the receptacle. Once that is done, you use any wall plate that covers the opening over the receptacle.

Kiko

Reaction score
You will probably need a "round grey work box plate" to adapt to the receptacle. Once that is done, you use any wall plate that covers the opening over the receptacle.

That's exactly what I ended up doing. Without the round gray workbox adapter, the receptacle doesn't screw in properly to the round light box. Then I searched all over for a very oversized single-gang outlet cover in white. I found one at an old, Ma and Pa hardware store near me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks