Question About a 1946 Septic System

Users who are viewing this thread

mr2le

Reaction score
Can someone describe the configuration of a typical septic system built in 1946. Would it have cast iron components or mainly clay tile. The tank appears to be in good condition . I know where the leach field is located but can find no D box. Would there be a curtain drain or some sort of an overflow bypass. I am considering purchasing this Fannie Mae repo. I am familiar with the configuration of systems built over the past 20 years but not that far back. I did speak with the local health dept and no records from its installation. The san tech explained many of these system had an overflow or bypass that may be tied into a field tile. This is in Ohio farm country. Can a system this old still be working or is it just going from tank thru some bypass into a field tile and dumped miles away. Thanks for any help.

Pipehacker

Reaction score
In my limited experience there was no standard way of doing things with old systems. In my most recent experience the septic tank consisted of an approximate 150 gallon earthern floor "tank" made of cement block with a tile line that went down to a lake. Other older systems could have nothing more than a buried barrel for a tank. In many places it would not be legal for a seller to sell a property without a conforming septic system. I would plan on replacing your system and would adjust your purchase price or make the seller upgrade the system. If you don't you should plan on paying for it yourself if you want to rent or sell the property.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks