Kitchen sink problem: sprayer jumps every time the faucet is turned on

Users who are viewing this thread

jsteelio

Reaction score
When I turn on my recently installed American Standard Cadet faucet, water goes up the sprayer hose and the water pressure makes the sprayer jump which causes a thumping sound. Is the diverter suppose to prevent water from going up the sprayer hose or is its job only to prevent water from coming out of the faucet when the sprayer button is pressed?

I emailed American Standard about my problem and they are sending me a new pressure compensating aerator to fix the problem though the part is currently out of stock. I'm uncertain on whether this new part will actually fix the problem.

Any help?

Jason

Dugfresh

Reaction score
Is it a side spay or a pull out spayer? A side sprayer faucet sends water to the sprayer, which you're not using it diverts to the spout. My first inkling is that you have too high of water pressure. Anything above 80 is generally above legal. Another thing could be water leaking out of the sprayer and being replaced with air allowing the water to rush to the sprayer handle in the off position and then Hammer once it fully pressurizes and diverts to the spout.

jsteelio

Reaction score
It's a side sprayer. Turning down the pressure helps a little but then it seems like there isn't enough pressure for the dishwasher to clean properly which it shares the hot water with the faucet.

I'm still unclear about how the diverter should work. When I initially turn on the faucet with the sprayer in the off position should water still travel up the sprayer hose?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
House water pressure has nothing to do with the dishwasher. It is a pumped spray. It IS very important to run a faucet in the sink until the water is hot. Otherwise, the dishwasher will fill with cold or warm water and will not clean well.

First thing I would do is replace the diverter in the faucet.

jsteelio

Reaction score
So if water is going up the sprayer hose when I turn on the facet the diverter is not working properly? Or is the diverter suppose to allow water up the sprayer hose even when the sprayer is not in use?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WHen you shut the water off, if the spray head leaks, it could suck some air in or let a little water out, and then, instead of a column of water that isn't compressible, there's a little air in there, and the water pressure fills it up, then abruptly stops, creating the thump.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
>>>I'm still unclear about how the diverter should work. When I initially turn on the faucet with the sprayer in the off position should water still travel up the sprayer hose?<<<

The answer is yes, every time the faucet is on the sprayer is on, the faucet off the sprayer is off.
I think one of the other posts said too much water pressure, I concur with that.
The other thing that could cause that is a poor design faucet, not much you can do about that.

boby_k

Reaction score
RE: American Standard faucet - thumping sound

Could I know what the resolution to this problem was? I am having exactly the same issue. I will greatly appreciate a response.

When I turn on my recently installed American Standard Cadet faucet, water goes up the sprayer hose and the water pressure makes the sprayer jump which causes a thumping sound. Is the diverter suppose to prevent water from going up the sprayer hose or is its job only to prevent water from coming out of the faucet when the sprayer button is pressed?

I emailed American Standard about my problem and they are sending me a new pressure compensating aerator to fix the problem though the part is currently out of stock. I'm uncertain on whether this new part will actually fix the problem.

Any help?

Jason

boby_k

Reaction score
Mystery solved

I got a replacement unit of the same model (Cadet). The new one does not do thumping noise.

I looked at other manufacturers, moen, delta, pf etc. All have plastic connectors.

Good thing about American Standard Cadet one is, it has all brass standard connectors. That is the reason I tried the same model for replacement. I would not put some plastic connectors in not so visible area under the sink. World is going backwards to plastic.

Could I know what the resolution to this problem was? I am having exactly the same issue. I will greatly appreciate a response.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The water is leaking out of the hose, so when the faucet is turned on, initially it thinks the button is pressed so it diverts, but then the hose fills IMMEDIATELY, and the diverter switches back, which makes the "clunk". You should have a momentary pause in the water flow when you turn the faucet on, although it could be too fast for you to notice it.

kargo27

Reaction score
Hi all. I did a Google search because I was having the same problem on a new Delta faucet and what worked for me was removing the restrictor in the aerator. No more annoying thumps. I didn't mind the amount of water flow with the restrictor but to not have to deal with that thump anymore is worth it to me. Hope that helps.

TomF

Reaction score
My old Moen two handle kitchen faucet with spray was doing the same thing. I found that if I unscrewed the plastic diverter a little bit the thump stopped, but when I operated the spray, water would drip from the faucet. I found a replacement diverter (looks just like this)

https://www.homefixitparts.com/plumbing/P7-01-097.php?part=P7-01-097&dept=Plumbing

and the thumping stopped for about a year. It returned a few weeks ago. One of the responses on this forum said removing the aerator from the faucet ended the thumping. I found the same, but wanted to keep the aeration feature.

I removed the diverter and compared it to the photo of the diverter in the above link, but saw mine in hand didn't have the larger black rubber washer. I looked into the space where the diverter screws in and saw the washer, fished it out, put it back on the diverter and reinstalled the diverter to the correct tightness, and now the thump is gone. It seems to me that the washer is a bit too large around the diverter, and I wonder if its inside dimension gets larger with extended time soaking in water.

Will have to keep an ear cocked for a return of the thump.

Last edited:

TomF

Reaction score
While sorting my kitchen junk drawer today, I found my old diverter and some product numbers that refer to it. One is 61176, the other is 994648. If you google either number and the word "diverter" (without quotes) you should find some suppliers. Most of the hits identify the diverter as a Premier product.

There is even a site with a how to do series of photos on replacing this very diverter. There is a good tip here on using a large steel washer as a tool to loosen and tighten the diverter.
http://support.danze.com/app/answer...erter---kitchen-faucet-with-vertical-diverter

I still suspect the square cross-section rubber washer may be the root cause of the thumping problem with this diverter, at least on my old Moen two handle kitchen faucet. The washer has become too large and may get twisted and out of place and may allow some flows where there shouldn't be any. I think my replacement diverter has been in use since March 2015, and after a year the thumping started again, but stopped when I removed the diverter and carefully threaded it back in, trying to be sure the square cross-section washer seated properly and wasn't twisting because of torquing the diverter too hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks