Leaky CO's

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
During a 2-story standing water test of my DWV I notice that some of the CO's in basement had the smallest leaks.... I thought they were already pretty darn tight and I'm a little concerned about overtightening them. Are they just not tight enough or was I supposed to use teflon tape or something around the threads? Or is there just too much pressure w/ the water test and since the system is usually not pressurized it is nothing to worry about?

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You WERE supposed to use a thread sealant of some kind, but they would probably still leak. There are several possibilities to stop the leak, either a thicker joint compound, additional wraps of Teflon tape, or a rubber cleanout cap clamped over the fitting's outlet, (and over the plug at the same time).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks