How to extend a CO?

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
I have a 45-deg Wye with a CO glued on at bottom of a drop.... problem is a new wall was added behind CO that makes access difficult. What I want to do now is extend the CO back to the face of the wall so access will be from other side of the wall. Can I do this simply by screwing in a male threaded adapter into the CO and gluing pipe and new CO onto that?

Dugfresh

Reaction score
You will want to make sure that you use long turn radius fittings for any extension. Make sure also that the clean out at your final finished wall isn't tighter than the one that is buried.

DavidTu

Reaction score
If that will do what you want, the yes, assuming it is NOT a 3 1/2" cast iron cleanout.

No, but I do have another 3.5" CI CO elsewhere... I thought my building sewer CI pipe was 3" ... but I measured the floor CO to 3.5" as you suggest... does that mean my building sewer is really 3.5" or 4" or what? I sized my vents assuming it was 3"! Am I in trouble?!?

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
No, but I do have another 3.5" CI CO elsewhere... I thought my building sewer CI pipe was 3" ... but I measured the floor CO to 3.5" as you suggest... does that mean my building sewer is really 3.5" or 4" or what? I sized my vents assuming it was 3"! Am I in trouble?!?

Your building sewer can be either 3or 4in., the c.o.s were made in off breed sizes to stop people from attaching pipe to them

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks