No water out of faucets?

Users who are viewing this thread

the newcomer

Reaction score
I think my problem is after the Jet pump and Bladder tank, but what could block the water from coming up even just the cold water. It rushes from the bladder tank through softener and then it's just the uv light. I didn't remove the light the first draining. But didn't think I had to. Could there be something in the way preventing the water from passing through the uv light? Seems weird if so,

the newcomer

Reaction score
Well-rite, I keep the valve closed after the tank til it fills, then I slowly open it up at it rushes on to the softener. I don't think it's damaged. Besides it was working today, I just did the cleaning of the salt system and heating tank.

the newcomer

Reaction score
K so verdict is, Empty everything, faucets open. Bladder air pressure reads 28psi. Gauge reads 0psi. Now I want to turn on the pump but should I keep the faucets open? there is also three shut off valves, one after bladder tank, one after uv light and one before HW tank. Should I open these one after another slowly or keep them open the whole time.

the newcomer

Reaction score
The water fills up the Bladder tank then when it gets to the UV light it seems to slow right down or stop really. Because now after 2 minutes, with the valve before the HW tank open, nothing is going in the tank? And seeing as for the cold water, nothing is after the UV light, it should come rushing up the pipes no? Could the valve be turning but actually not opening the pipe, like just a broken shut off valve?

the newcomer

Reaction score
I guess it's just going to cost this ol sucker 300 to get a plumber out here whos' going to laughed at what a simple job this was. I can say I tried and gave it my all. Thanks anyways guyg.

the newcomer

Reaction score
OKAY, I figured it out. Here goes...

It was a sediment problem. Yesterday I wanted to clean out my Water Softener and start fresh. So I emptied the tanks while shutting off the power to both. And drained all the pipes
( BUT FORGOT TO OPEN A FAUCET!!!). So after the drain, install a fresh 10 inch filter, Started up the pump, while the while faucets CLOSED and it took quite some time to get water into the HW tank. So I tried a couple things like releasing pressure on the side of HW tank, air come out. Open a faucet for a few seconds, A LOT OF AIR COME OUT. aND STILL NO WATER.
So drained both tanks for the second time. Filled them up with faucets still closed. At this point I still didn't know the faucets should have been open. And after a second time, the HW tank did not want to fill, very slow it seemed. Drained both tanks for the 3rd time. ( Now you could imagine my frustration around 11pm with trial and error and a hopeful wife) I thought around 12 a.m., hey, let me check on that filter after all these refills. The "NEW" 10 inch filter now had 100s of gallons of water pass through it, that it was completely clogged up. Silt, sand, heck for all I know I found gold with all this draining and refilling leaving the well probably low.
I figured let me start her up without the filter and see if that was the problem, well to my surprise, it was!!! Some great fellas here on the forum told me to leave the faucets open til I filled the tanks and see water come up and without the filter water was able to come blasting out of the faucets. I was so happy you guys have no idea. But now my proble lies with there being too much sand in my wellenough for it to clog a filter that quickly.
Well this morning, ran over to Home Depot, grabbed some new filters, and drained the system yet again and started over frash and the "RIGHT" way. I am doing a system regeneration right now so still no shower for a couple of hours.

My final question I guess now lies with the sediment and what should I do to get clear water. Should I wait a few days to allow our well to fill up and sart over with cleaner water? Or is there a sort of screen in the well that needs to be replced? Or the pipe in the well too low it's picking up dirt?

I really appreciate your input last night, you saved me a lot of money. So direct me to the "DONATE" button cause I support this idea of helping people out without costing one say 500.00, who knows how much this would have cost me, "dirty filter". LMAO!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Normally, you wouldn't need to drain the entire system each time you dealt with it. Depending on what you were trying to accomplish, you might get by with just turning the pump off and opening a faucet to bleed off the water stored in the bladder tank. The on/off and large flows to refill the bladder tank and the WH may stress the well, and under 'normal' condions, might not generate that much sediment. You'd have to know how deep the well was, the standing water level, and where the pump was positioned...it could be too low, or not deep enough. The typical 10" sediment filters don't work that well on a high volume, whole-house situation. To make troubleshooting easier next time, put a pressure gauge both before and after the filter - then, it will be easy to see if it is clogged, the pressure would be lower on the outlet.

the newcomer

Reaction score
Thanks, is there another kind of filter i could get? And should I wait a few days to see if the hot water ( now just still warm) clears up, because it is cloudy. Or should I drain bladder again and replace the most recent filter I put in? My guess would be to wait it out a few, and try not to use too much water now to allow the well to maybe recover.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
They make 20" long filter housings rather than the 10" one (I think) you said you have. Those tend to last more than twice as long. Then, you need to look at how fine they are. There may be other choices out there as well. Before this, how often did you have to change the filter? What size is it designed to filter (often stated in microns)?

As to cloudy hot water...sediment may continue to get moved around in there for awhile. If your pump is pumping sand and silt, that may wear things out on that end, and may need to be looked at later. I'd probably just let normal use try to blow it out. If it is really bad, keep the pump on, and run water out the WH drain until it clears up. But, if it is also in the cold water, not much to do, as it's coming from the pump and getting through the filter.

As noted several times, if the WH was not totally refilled before you turned it on, you've fried at least one heating element and it may never get beyond warm.

the newcomer

Reaction score
Well, it's been on for 12 hours now, and I drained a bit from the tank and a bunch from the taps to see the clearity change. So more cold water has been put in while still trying to heat the freezing cold water. It's been 11 hours now and it is just warm. Do you think at element is blown? If so, can I repair it myself or do I need a plumber?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Depends on how handy you are, but yes, you need at least one new element, and maybe both. If you have the tools, you can test them, but it may be obvious if you pull them out - they'll likely have a big hole(s) melted in them. They aren't all that hard to replace. Not sure if the thermostats survived. See what the pros have to say. It only takes seconds for a heating element to overheat and melt if it isn't submerged in water.

the newcomer

Reaction score
Well Day 3...

I have to give it to "McconnellPlumbing", I was on the phone from Toronto to Oklahama at 1030pm last night with him helping me figure out what the problem is. Turns out because I never released the pressure when draining tanks and tried to refill the tanks the HW tank wouldn't fill. Maybe just half way if that. Me not knowing I turned the power on and must have blown an element bacause 12 hours later the water was merely warm. So my good friend helped me determine how many elements I had, what voltage and where to buy new. Really helped me as if it was new to me and soaked up the knowledge like a sponge.
Today went to home depot and bought 2 elements and a small pipe-like tool to remove the element for 64.83$. And I'm about to turn the power off completely to the house and install the new ones. If this works I owe it all to "McconnellPlumbing" for being so specific in what I should do and saving me what. a couple hundred maybe more. THANKS A LOT!!!
Tell you how it goes as soon as I know...

the newcomer

Reaction score
12pm-The water is too hot!!! That's great round here considering we haven't had water in 3 days. So again, Thank you all for your expert advice and especially Wayne. You are a true person, great soul. Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks