Water test w/ lead roof vent flashing (aka roof jack) causes indoor shower

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
We did our DMV water test yesterday and while there were a couple of small leaks in my ABS connections, the biggest problem w/ detecting the leaks is that there is no real connection between the ABS vent and the lead flashing so as we fill the vent pipe (bottom up w/ Jim cap) when we reach the top the water comes splashing down on everything before we can even turn it off... thus making leak detection difficult, not to mention getting us a little soaked.

Is there any way to avoid this w/ this sort of set up? Did we not make a connection between the ABS and lead roof flashing (aka lead roof jack) that we should have?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
None that i have ever heard of. That is just the way it works, but the leaking should only be at the lowest roof penetration, so the rest of the system should be dry for testing.

DavidTu

Reaction score
None that i have ever heard of. That is just the way it works, but the leaking should only be at the lowest roof penetration, so the rest of the system should be dry for testing.

OK then we'll work around it, obviously. Unfortunately the lowest penetration also sits atop a lot of the other plumbing... I guess I should mention that some of the floor are open too so that's not helping. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks