• No

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
How many electricians/electrical people wear your wedding rings while working?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
The absolute love of my life placed that band there and nothing short of the glory of God will remove it.

Cookie

Reaction score
Do you know of any incidences where people were electrocuted while doing electrical work because of wearing a wedding ring? My husband was in electrical and actually, apologized to me for having taken it off, saying, it is safer. I totally understood and agreed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I do not have one, but if I did I would not wear it or any other ring on the job. Electrocution would be a rare situation, but having the ring crushed or pinched with your finger in it would not be a pleasant feeling.

Arfeller

Reaction score
I caught my wedding band on a ladder while handing something up to the person on the ladder. I was standing on the ground and the ring caught on the bracket that holds the rungs on the back side. Was a cheaper thin gold band and cut into my finger. Ended up getting the ring cut off at the emergency room and recieved 14 stitches around my finger. Now because of the scar it is not comfortable to wear the ring and I have some fear of it happening again.

Cookie

Reaction score
Wow, that had to hurt. Alot.

My dad was fixing a tv years ago, fixing the kind that used the old tubes, diodes, and he was wearing a rather wide gold wedding band when he got zapped. He took it off after that. My brother who is in electrical never wears his due to the risk. Long ago, an uncle was teaching me to weld, and wearing my wedding band proved to be a great mistake. He even warned me beforehand, but of course, I knew it all. :)

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Never heard of anyone getting hurt with their wedding ring but do know several who take theirs off.

If I though I was going to be hurt I would simply wear rubber gloves.

I have been hurt by a wrist watch with a metal stretch band.

Cookie

Reaction score
Yeah, like on the URL of the other forum I posted someone said they got it by a wearing a watch. But rings are a pretty common way of getting zapped. My husband wouldn't wear either. No watch or rings. Nothing dangling around his neck that could make a connection or get sucked in by a vacuum or something's mechanisms. The rubber gloves you speak of would have to be fairly thick in order to be of any good, and then, my question is, how easy would it be to manipulate your fingers when you need to do something small. Safety first. Love is always second. The value of one's life is more important.

I am alittle bit surprised that more people didn't chime in about either the poll or writing, about the safety of not wearing the jewerly. It is maybe, just too basic of a question, something, people don't think much of and taken for granted, most don't wear it. I hope so anyway. Nothing more disturbing than finishing an arc with a ring, and see the sparks fly.

You should teach this, not to wear jewelry in Safety #101 in your first year classes.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a case of whether YOU want to take the chance that your finger may be the one in a million that is injured by wearing a piece of jewelry. It may not happen, in fact it probably will NOT happen, but as many stories tell, it COULD happen. Water skiing is an enjoyable sport, but one of my friends got his finger caught in the tow rope as he fell, and his finger WAS removed by it, which while it was also a "rare" occurance was no less traumatic to him.

Cookie

Reaction score
That is horrible Hj! That poor man. God, I can't imagine it.

It might be like you say, a one in the million chance, but like you, I wouldn't take that chance. No disrespect to anyone, but, I need all my fingers it would ruin my polished look, and then, depending on which one would be missing, I couldn't drive without it. I use sign language alot.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
How can a ring possibly affect an electric arc through 1/4" thick gloves? Got 2 on and probably would not come off without end cutters. Ran miles of welds without any issue.

Catching on a ladder or worse, the travelling head on a metal planer or overhead cnc router could give you the ride of your life.

Any sort of neck chain is a good way to die, unless you be in the ghetto, where not too many machines are operating.

Probably the best way to save your life is never leave home without a good knife in your pocket. Especially if you wear a scarf.

Wearing a scarf and using a drill press would be on the top ten ways to die list.

More than a few have had inside views of their snowblowers that way.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I once caught a wedding ring on the edge of a dumpster as I was jumping down after "putting" empty boxes in. I was able to grab on with the other hand, just in time.
When I wore one while working, it got bent, oval'ed, and abraded. Finally I quit wearing it at work.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Well, you just went way up in my estimation if you are a dumpster diver!

Wear gloves. It boggles the mind what contractors throw away at large job sites. Pulled a new box of 6" sewer elbows out last week.... enough copper for a great bottle of wine.

Cookie

Reaction score
Your gloves are thick enough then.

How can a ring possibly affect an electric arc through 1/4" thick gloves? Got 2 on and probably would not come off without end cutters. Ran miles of welds without any issue.

Catching on a ladder or worse, the travelling head on a metal planer or overhead cnc router could give you the ride of your life.

Any sort of neck chain is a good way to die, unless you be in the ghetto, where not too many machines are operating.

Probably the best way to save your life is never leave home without a good knife in your pocket. Especially if you wear a scarf.

Wearing a scarf and using a drill press would be on the top ten ways to die list.

More than a few have had inside views of their snowblowers that way.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I always take my wedding ring and watch off while doing any combination of electrical, plumbing or remodeling work.

I also always put on my safety glasses which I got made up at the optricians the last time I went.

The main reason I do this is that such work wreaks havoc on rings, watches and spectacles regardless of whether they might injure you or not. Drywall dust is the worst.

I also wear mechanix gloves, old shoes and trousers. Never good clothes for DIY work.

I was tiling at the weekend and my finger slipped into the diamond blade while working on shaping a small section to the exact specifications only a DIYer could achieve with time and patience.

The gloves saved me.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Funny about the safety glasses, really all prescription glasses qualify as safety glasses, except for side shields. Worked for me for many years.

Take off the gloves around drill presses and slow turning machines like lathes and tractor power take offs, lest you end up mimicking a donald duck cartoon, discovering how many times your arm can roll up like a ball of twine before it comes off.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you really want to see how fast you can move, get your glove tangled in a sewer cleaning cable while it is turning. You will find out how fast you can get your foot off the switch, and also how much torque your hand can handle. It is even more interesting when the cable snags and comes whipping out, twisting as it comes, and winds itself around your fingers and hand, hopefully without breaking anything, then trying to unwind it with your free hand.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks