(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

View Poll Results: How many wear a wedding ring?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 50.00%
  • No

4 50.00%
  • Sometimes

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Value of Gold

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Been some lazy stupid times welding with whatever junk glove was around, but still no shocks.

Lucky glove.

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    Been some lazy stupid times welding with whatever junk glove was around, but still no shocks.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

I always take my wedding ring and watch off while doing any combination of electrical, plumbing or remodeling work.

I also always put on my safety glasses which I got made up at the optricians the last time I went.

The main reason I do this is that such work wreaks havoc on rings, watches and spectacles regardless of whether they might injure you or not. Drywall dust is the worst.

I also wear mechanix gloves, old shoes and trousers. Never good clothes for DIY work.

I was tiling at the weekend and my finger slipped into the diamond blade while working on shaping a small section to the exact specifications only a DIYer could achieve with time and patience.

The gloves saved me.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 01-31-2011 at 12:14 PM.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Funny about the safety glasses, really all prescription glasses qualify as safety glasses, except for side shields. Worked for me for many years.

Take off the gloves around drill presses and slow turning machines like lathes and tractor power take offs, lest you end up mimicking a donald duck cartoon, discovering how many times your arm can roll up like a ball of twine before it comes off.

If you really want to see how fast you can move, get your glove tangled in a sewer cleaning cable while it is turning. You will find out how fast you can get your foot off the switch, and also how much torque your hand can handle. It is even more interesting when the cable snags and comes whipping out, twisting as it comes, and winds itself around your fingers and hand, hopefully without breaking anything, then trying to unwind it with your free hand.