TIme for new furnace . Gas or electric?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sparky240

Reaction score
I have a house In Nebraska. House is about 2200 sq ft. House is built in 1975. My current system is original. I currently have a electric furnace with two electric strips (2 70 amp breakers). I will defiantly install a heat pump but cant seem to make up my mind on Gas or electric furnace for the emergency heat. also I cant seem to decide what SEER I should install?.

Any input would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Jake

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Eledctric heat is more expensive to operate in many parts of the country....electric rates HIGH. You will be using the backup heat much of the year in your very cold climate.

13 SEER on air conditioning is the minimum available today. Seers of 14, 16, even ~20 are available, but the price goes up quite noticeably with the SEER, and you have to have someone figure out what your energy savings in $$$ are to see if the payback is reasonable. Your local gas and electric companies can usually give you some numbers to work with.

Remember, SEER refers to the air conditioning. Electric heat is very high efficiency, almost all the energy goes into heat. Gas furnaces run from 80% efficient to 95%. Price goes up.

Sparky240

Reaction score
I wouldn't be using the electric heat most of the year . The heat pumps cut off at about 26 outside temp. I will find out what my electric rates would be I was led to believe that there are winter rates if you install a heat pump. I will call the power company Monday and see what they have to say I will report back. Thanks
Jake

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Ask about time of use rates for electric heat also. 95% furnace with natural gas is the cheapest.

I would use a 95% nat gas water heater and then install a water to air coil in your ducts for back up. now you have cheap hot water and the same rig is your back up.

I do that with radiant heat. Yours would require some tinkering and a good techhie.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks