shower encloser enclosed

Users who are viewing this thread

neili

sales of irrigation, pumps, water wells
Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
Growing up we had newer one-piece type shower enclosures. These enclosures had a taller ceiling then they did an entrance. By this I mean there was a lip so to speak that hung down towards the door. When I moved into my own house I suddenly started to notice red drips on the walls near my shower in the bathroom. Also, the paint on the outside of my house bubbles and peals near the bathroom. I read somewhere that this has to do with too much humidity in the house. I never experienced this with my one piece shower as a kid. Is it possible that this type of shower keeps more of the humidity in the shower and not in the bathroom? I am considering this as I think of ways to get rid of this humidity in my house. Thanks

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
sounds like you need some ventilation - an exhaust fan would carry that humidity out of there... the "red drips" sounds like mildew to me. Paint peeling on the outside of the house due to the bathroom humidity??? I'm not sure about that one, but it strikes me that outside climes are much harsher than indoor ones!

neili

sales of irrigation, pumps, water wells
Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
Growing up we didn't have any ventilation either. I was wondering if anyone knew about the one piece shower with the lip at the top and if that helped most of the humidity condensate inside the shower.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not sure the lip would make much difference, a little maybe, but not much. Older paints were often enamel, which often is a little more impervious to moisture than laytex. Really, though, unless you live in the desert, an exhaust fan really helps (except maybe in the winter during heating season). My unprofessional opinion.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
shower

Since this a guessing game, here is my guess.
Can you get to or make an access to the wall on the business side of the shower to get in and look?
I'm guessing that there is a leak in the wall. The red spots may be rusting nails and outside pealing due to wetness soaking to the outside.
You may just have to peek inside the wall.........

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks