Sink strainer flange for kitchen sink (flat vs funnel)

Users who are viewing this thread

Bjanecka

Reaction score
I'll be installing a new Blanco SS kitchen sink and need to get strainers for it. I noticed the flange that the strainer sets on is shaped like a funnel but the strainer assemblies that I've seen at the big boxes have a flat nut or a flat collar with screws. Do you have to use a special assembly with this type of flange?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
All strainers will come with a seal and nut for standard hook ups.
You can go cheap, or nice. We only install the nice ones. I either get the baskets with the pin and ball, or the twist down type.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you are calling the "funnel" type installs with a smaller nut at the bottom, as opposed to the much bigger nut that requires huge channelocks or prefferably a special tool. I think the funnel is easier to install, and the other type's nut goes bad faster. Terry is right about the connections, of course. All standard stuff for hookups.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What you describe is the same situation you would have with a cast iron sink. The void in the funnel gets filled with plumber's putty and then you tighten the drain in place, UNLESS you have a Blanco or similar drain with a "bolt" inside it to hold the pieces together. Then you just use the bottom rubber gasket to seal it and nothing on the top.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks