Heat Pump acting strange

Users who are viewing this thread

chrisf8657

Reaction score
Hi experts,

We had a hail storm here in Glendale (suburb of Phoenix) a couple months ago. It damaged alot of roofs, and most in the neighborhood are needing replacement now. However, it also damaged alot of Heat pumps. Ours is about a 6-7 y/o Goettl. The Insurance (Allstate) recommended roof replacement for the whole house, but for the Heat Pump recommending combing the fins out.

Our A/C guy of 10+ years came out, and tried that. The fins just broke off and he wasn't able to do it.
The insurance company is currently arguing with him about. He finally said to go ahead and come out here and try it themselves, but of course with Insurance companies, they still say he can comb the fins out, when he can't.

Anyways, that's the back story.

Here's the problem:
Over the last couple weeks - the Pump (we are on heat ATM, it gets down to the 40's in the night), the heat pump in the coldest parts of the night (2-5AM - I am a night owl and I smoke, so I go outside), is making this sound when I am outside:

*Click* ---- Hisssssssssssssssssssssss ----- *Click Click* (repeat anywhere from 3-10 seconds later depending on the night's temp)

AFAIK, this is the defrost cycle, but it NEVER did it every 3-10 seconds before. I'm afraid the unit is getting ready to fail.

Anyone have an idea without getting another $100 service call?

PS: This unit is on the roof, but loud enough with the clicks and hiss I can hear it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks