After brief power failure, I have pulsating water and the well pump is cycling A LOT

Users who are viewing this thread

JamesEarlJones

Reaction score
I accidentally cut power to the well pump while my wife was doing dishes yesterday. After I turned it back on, the water seems to be pulsating. It seems to have pretty high pressure, but there is a definite pulse to it. Also the well pump seems to be clicking on and off pretty constantly while we're using water. I've read a few things pointing to either a lowe pressure cut off switch, or maybe not enough air in the tank, but wasn't really sure if either of those could be what I'm looking for. Seems weird. Everything was perfectly fine before I killed the power. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I recommend turning the power to the well off and getting a pro out there to diagnose it ASAP. Letting the pump cycle as you describe will cause it to fail, and then you will have more problems.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
You probably ran all the air out of the tank when the power was shut-off by continuing to use water after the pump was off. The tank needs Air ASAP and if it's a bladder tank it needs a new tank.

JamesEarlJones

Reaction score
thanks for the tips

Ok, thanks for the advice. I have bought some bottled water to get us through until somebody can get out there to check things out since it looks out of my league. Will stop using water, and hopefully somebody can come out and take a look tomorrow. The pump tank appears quite old, so we'll see what he says. I'll update the thread with what happens just for the sake of anyone else who stumbles on this with a similar problem.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
You probably ran all the air out of the tank when the power was shut-off by continuing to use water after the pump was off. The tank needs Air ASAP and if it's a bladder tank it needs a new tank.

If its a plain tank, using all the water would have put air into the tank, and it would have been compressed when the pump went on. Not to mention the new air from the air maker sys.

More likely a bladder tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks