How do you get off these freaking handles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
A few years ago I inherited (sortof) a nice old art deco sink with a cool Speakman faucet. I finally got around to installing it in our new powder room and the cold side leaks. No big deal, just change a washer, right? Well I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the handles off! There's no cap on top of the handles to unscrew or pop off and if the handle unscrews from the shaft somehow I can't figure it out. I tried PB blaster and tapping from underneath for about 1/2 an hour with no luck.

I can unscrew the estrucheons under the handles but that's not much good unless I can actually get the handles off.

If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG00255.jpg
    IMG00255.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG00258.jpg
    IMG00258.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Reaction score
If there is no cover on top of the handles, have you looked on the side of the handle? Especially on the short section of the handle just below the handles. There may be a small screw on the side. Also, I couldn't see from the picture but some old handles have a threaded nut that threads up from below onto the bottom of the handle itself that is loosened and handle merely pulls up when losened.

Reaction score
If there is no cover on top of the handles, have you looked on the side of the handle? Especially on the short section of the handle just below the handles. There may be a small screw on the side. Also, I couldn't see from the picture but some old handles have a threaded nut that threads up from below onto the bottom of the handle itself that is loosened and handle merely pulls up when losened.

That's it! Thank you so much! There was a tiny set screw holding the handle in place positioned in the back so you don't see it when the water is off. You guys are the best!

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
I love that style of sink! Patterned after the "Integral spout" type where that bulge at the back was the spout. Kudos for keeping one of the rare ones going!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks