Beckett RWB Leaking oil

Users who are viewing this thread

mprotain

Reaction score
Hi All, I have a Beckett RWB burner two line system that is leaking a lot of oil through the burner case to the floor. Once I turn on the oil supply oil starts to seep out from the bottom of the burner case. This burner is on my hot water heater and is only about three years old. This began happening yesterday when I changed the nozzle, oil filter, and pump strainer on my heater furnace. Once I started the furnace up thats when I noticed that the burner on the hot water heater began leaking oil. I thought this was strange seeing that I did not touch the burner on the hot water heater. any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Driz

Reaction score
Just a thought here but I have seen mine leaking a time or two over the years. Most likely you don't have the nozzle screwed in fully or you bent the electrodes out of position a bit and it's not firing correctly. If you have them far enough out of position they don't ignite the spray fast enough / completely and you get that slight excess drool. Chances are that's what is causing it. At least the fix is free..........................

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
What threads? It's leaking inside the oil burner which is one of three things. Cracked or bad nozzle adapter, bad nozzle, leaking pump seal and judging by the amount he says is leaking it's probably the seal.

Tk03

Reaction score
I agree with Tom but, Mark said he did not touch that water heater burner.
The thing that will blow a pump seal quickly is turning on the burner with the return line valve closed. Is it possible Mark did not turn the water heater off when he serviced the boiler.
Mark is there a valve on the common return from both appliances?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
What return line valve. Nobody that knows anything about oil burners would put a valve on the return line.

Tk03

Reaction score
Maybe not in your area but they are all over the place on the East Coast. The reason is siphoning from the underground oil tank. The oil line comes into the basement above the oil burner and when the line is disconnected it keeps running from the line.
We need to understand this is not a perfect world and many things are not by the book.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am on the east coast and I have been a NEFI instructor in past years as well as an hvac instructor now and believe me, nobody in his right mind would put a shut off valve on a return line for any reason. All it takes is for the homeowner or his kid to shut the valve off and the pump seal blows and you have a very dangerous situation. Besides which it is against the NFPA code to install one.

Tk03

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying but it happens many many times. I have been to hundreds of job sites where there is a valve on the return side. We try to teach the proper way but many still do what they have always done or do not change it when the new heating appliance goes in. It does not make it right because somebody does it as just because it is code that something will always follow the code. How many gas units are installed in exterior chimneys with no liners. Go to Washington DC and that answer would be most of them as their inspectors do not enforce it. Most inspectors only enforce local cosed as they are local code inspectors.
There are codes and classrooms and then there are real world non-code installations which in a percentage is a lot greater number then the code type installations. Do we condone it, NO, but it is reality...Yes.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
In almost 40 years of servicing oil burners in Maine, NH, VT, Mass, Connecticut and New York I have NEVER EVER seen one single shutoff valve installed on an oil return line. So I asked a couple other service managers that I know because I have also been a member and past president of NAOSHM and NONE of them has ever seen one either. Nobody in their right mind would install one for that matter.

GSwanson

Reaction score
I had the same problem. My Beckett burner was dripping oil from the bottom. I've read elsewhere that most fuel pumps returned for rebuilding do not have a leaking shaft seal so I thought that was not likely the problem. The Z spacing was correct, the nozzle was tight and the adapter looked fine, at least from what I could tell. I checked the electrode gaps and they were fine. I then checked the slope of the air tube by dropping some oil in it. The oil moved to the weep hole at the front, but it moved slowly and in an irregular pattern. It was then that I saw that there was carbon buildup on the bottom of the tube. I used some sandpaper and a vacuum to remove the carbon and the leak stopped. In my experience the most likely explanation for a problem is often the simplest - and least expensive.

GSwanson

Reaction score
Hi All, I have a Beckett RWB burner two line system that is leaking a lot of oil through the burner case to the floor. Once I turn on the oil supply oil starts to seep out from the bottom of the burner case. This burner is on my hot water heater and is only about three years old. This began happening yesterday when I changed the nozzle, oil filter, and pump strainer on my heater furnace. Once I started the furnace up thats when I noticed that the burner on the hot water heater began leaking oil. I thought this was strange seeing that I did not touch the burner on the hot water heater. any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
I had the same problem. My Beckett burner was dripping oil from the bottom. I've read elsewhere that most fuel pumps returned for rebuilding do not have a leaking shaft seal so I thought that was not likely the problem. The Z spacing was correct, the nozzle was tight and the adapter looked fine, at least from what I could tell. I checked the electrode gaps and they were fine. I then checked the slope of the air tube by dropping some oil in it. The oil moved to the weep hole at the front, but it moved slowly and in an irregular pattern. It was then that I saw that there was carbon buildup on the bottom of the tube. I used some sandpaper and a vacuum to remove the carbon and the leak stopped. In my experience the most likely explanation for a problem is often the simplest - and least expensive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks