240v 60amp service

Users who are viewing this thread

John07

Reaction score
Hello
Hoping to get some advise on wiring a 240v 60amp single phase oven. I have a few questions.
1) will #6 be ok with an oven pulling 53 amps?
2) I would like to install a 60amp plug and recepticle. This is a 3 wire with ground. Do the ground and neutral have to be as large as the hot wires. I know that this oven does not need a neutral but the receptical has it and I was going to pull it anyway.
3) Can I get all wires in 3/4 conduit?
4) I would like to use a pigtail from the box to the oven. What type of cord?
Thanks for any advise you can give.
JohnT
This is a commercial oven in a business. The pull would be about 25ft.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
1- Yes #6 copper is good for 65 amps
2- A 50 amp receptacle and end cap would be just fine. The neutral can b e a #8 and the EGC can be a #10
3- Yes
4- A 50 amp range cord

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Speedey: is a 50 amp cord and a 50 amp receptacle OK on a 60 amp breaker and the oven rated at 53 amps? Is this just one of those " its the way we do it " deals?

JWelectric

Reaction score
I love it when someone post an opened question such as the original in this thread. The question should have been followed by more questions to make sure the precise answer was given.

My first post is the correct answer for one scenario. If the 240 volt 60 amp oven fits the description outlined in 422.11(B) then a 50 amp breaker with a 50 amp cord and plug would be compliant. This is what I was thinking when I posted my first post.

But with the questions that have followed I must point out 422.11(F)(2) but I just don’t feel that this oven fits here, but if it does then a 60 amp breaker with #6 THHN/THWN in ¾ EMT to a junction box and flex from the box to the oven. Should you go to cord and plug then a twist loc device and SJOO cord

Annex C Table C1 allows four #6 THHN/THWN conductors in EMT so maybe three #6 and one #10 wouldn’t be to bad.

John07

Reaction score
Hello
Thanks for all your answers. I just got a chance to read them. So will a 50A plug and recepticle work in this case. It pulls 53A. Is the 50A plug and recepticle underated? The 50A would be easier to find and alot cheaper. (30bucks vs 120bucks) I just want to make sure that when I am done, it looks right and is safe. So if it were you a 50A or 60A breaker? And which type of plug and recepticle would you install? Would it be an oven 50A oven plug or a SJOO cord with 60A plug and recepticle?
And thanks again.

JWelectric

Reaction score
have you got more information on the oven (stove) such as a link or a picture. Any of this would help to give you an answer

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Easy to say, but unless its on wheels, some flex for 5 bucks sure seems attractive.

That plug and receptacle, when you finally find it NOT in three phase, in flat prong is over $175, and in twist you might spend $300. 50 amps are all over the place for cheap. Some of the 60 amp 240v plugs I saw were $400 alone. Not many people want to sell you 5 feet of sjoo 60 amp cord either.

Put in an A/C type shut off or a little breaker box at the rig with flex if one thinks instant shut off is needed - 20 or 40 bucks tops.

Your first answer with the 50 amp plug appears much more practical in the real world.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
If thats with plug and receptacle I'd like to have a link to it, should you have one.

Or maybe it'll pop up here as an ad.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks