OMG! McDonald's is not making enough of money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
By Lisa Baertlein Lisa Baertlein – Mon Jan 24, 5:14 pm ET
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – McDonald's Corp (MCD.N) plans to raise prices this year to help offset an expected rise in its grocery bill for the 10 commodities that account for around 75 percent of its food preparation costs.

Food prices are rising around the globe and the comments from the world's biggest restaurant chain overshadowed weaker-than-expected December sales at established European and U.S. restaurants, as poor weather hurt demand, and a reported fourth-quarter profit that was in line with expectations.

McDonald's expects its costs to rise 2 percent to 2.5 percent this year in the United States and 3.5 percent to 4.5 percent in Europe.

Beef, chicken, pork, bread and milk products, paper, cola, ketchup and other sauces, and fruits and vegetables top McDonald's U.S. shopping list.

Chief Financial Officer Pete Bensen said McDonald's would "raise prices where it makes sense" to offset some, but not all, of the cost increases. McDonald's did not give a commodity forecast for Asia and its other markets.

Diners around the world remain cautious with their spending on food away from home and McDonald's will be very careful not to turn customers off with higher prices, Bensen said.

When asked why costs are going up more in Europe, analysts noted commodity prices fell more in the United States last year than in Europe, a fragmented purchasing market where foreign exchange fluctuations play a big role.

"The U.S. is a more efficient, more homogenous market" for sourcing commodities, said RBC Capital Markets analyst Larry Miller.

McDonald's bumped up prices last year in China to offset a spike in commodity costs there. It also increased prices in Britain to cover a January 1 value-added tax increase.

Its shares closed up 37 cents, or 0.49 percent, at $75.38 on the New York Stock Exchange.

INSENSITIVE TO COMMODITIES?

Every U.S. restaurant chain faces pressure to raise menu prices. Analysts expect McDonald's to make smaller increases than many rivals because it uses its size to its advantage.

"They're large enough to put some pressure on their suppliers and they also will, through direct price increases or perhaps changing portion sizes, try to pass some of it on to consumers," said Peter Jankovskis, co-chief investment officer with OakBrook Investments, which owns McDonald's shares.

McDonald's historically has been a strong performer in times of inflation and J.P. Morgan analyst John Ivankoe said in a client note that McDonald's is "the most insensitive to commodities" from an earnings-per-share perspective.

The company also known as the Golden Arches had a banner year in 2010, when it hit a record market share of 11.8 percent.

Renovated stores, expanded value menus and new food items such as lattes and smoothies appealed to diners and helped it steal business from U.S. rivals such as No. 2 hamburger chain Burger King, which is now private after its sale to 3G Capital.

However, last year's results have raised the bar for 2011 and some analysts worry earnings-per-share growth could slow.

While a slowly improving global economy, menu price increases and new restaurant openings should increase sales, austerity measures in Europe -- McDonald's biggest market for sales -- remain a concern.

COLD WINTER

McDonald's said global sales at restaurants open at least 13 months rose 3.7 percent overall in December. They gained 2.6 percent in the United States, slid 0.5 percent in Europe and rose 8.9 percent for Asia-Pacific, Middle East and Africa.

Wall Street expected December same-restaurant sales to be 3.9 percent higher in the United States, up 3.4 percent in Europe and gain 5.7 percent in APMEA, according to Janney Capital Markets analyst Mark Kalinowski.

In November, McDonald's same-restaurant sales rose less than expected in the United States and Japan.

Europe accounts for around 40 percent of McDonald's revenue, while the U.S. market contributes about 35 percent.

For January, the company expects global same-restaurant sales to increase 4 percent to 5 percent.

Net income in the fourth quarter rose to $1.24 billion, or $1.16 a share, compared with $1.22 billion, or $1.11 a share, in the year-earlier quarter. The profit matched what analysts polled Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S had expected.

Total revenue, including sales from company-owned restaurants plus royalties from franchisees and other fees, rose 4 percent to $6.21 billion, above the $6.20 billion analysts expected.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Oh Joy bring on the hydrolyzed vegetable protein...

ae09ee64.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Yesterday I ordered a bottled water, 2 cheeseburgers and a mcchicken.

I really only needed a cheeseburger and mchicken for the food side of the equation, but for some reason, ordered 2 cheeseburgers.

The order was wrong when I got it, and instead of a mcchicken I ended up with a fry, which I've removed from my diet.

They took my order back, made it right but left the fry in the bag.

I leave, tempted not to eat the fries, but succumbed and had about the equivalent of 12 fries.

FRIES > Too salty, way too salty. They were old and wrinkled so you could tell they had been sitting. I didn't eat the rest.

McChicken > The chicken actually was not the processed type, like it normally was and it was the better chicken they use. But, the chicken had what appeared to be some type of consistency of gristle in the meat. I ate it, but unwillingly.

Cheeseburger > The bread was cool, below room temperature, the cheese was cool, never melted, the meat, was barely warm. Sloppily made sandwich and pickles clumped badly on top of the burger.

I ate most of it but ended up not eating the very end because it was such a terrible concoction being called a cheeseburger. I've had times where the sandwich hits the spot but not this time.

I left the food in my truck but instead of eating it later, I took it back to mcdonalds and made sure the manager got it. What I did differently was I refused a refund.

That changed the whole dynamic completely because that's what people are normally driving at in wanting compensation.

I didn't, I just wanted to make sure that manager knew that when I rolled through your establishment at 2:30pm that the workers were doing a terrible job, and I don't care if it was just after lunch rush.

I rarely eat at McDonalds but this just gave me another reason that I have to end eating there, eventually. The food is just not in your best interest...

But I will tell you that they have the best fries in the biz, when they are cooked right.

The rest leaves you hungry shortly thereafter, every time.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, McDonalds actually has great salads. They have an Oriental chicken one that has grilled chicken and Mandarin oranges, comes with Paul Newman salad dressing, and is actually very good. Seems strange to order salad at McDonalds, but just good to be aware that they do have some good-quality, reasonably healthy, alternatives.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Believe it or not, McDonalds actually has great salads. They have an Oriental chicken one that has grilled chicken and Mandarin oranges, comes with Paul Newman salad dressing, and is actually very good. Seems strange to order salad at McDonalds, but just good to be aware that they do have some good-quality, reasonably healthy, alternatives.

Careful if you think that all the salads offered are healthy at McDonalds...

There are a couple of their salads that will easily hit 54% of the recommended daily value for fat with a single serving...

Especially when you throw that damned dead bird on top....
Along with Caesar or, Ranch Dressing....

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks