Heat pump clicks but doesn't run

Users who are viewing this thread

prepper

Reaction score
From an earlier post I read this: "Have a helper set the thermostat up above the ambient indoor temp and you listen to the contactor. If it has 24v and does not click that is your problem."

Mine is running fine indoors and when temp is low enough the auxillary heats like normal but when temp isn't low enough inside fan just runs and runs, heat pump unit outside clicks about every 10 secs but nothing else, no running, no hum, nothing.

Know I can't troubleshoot and fix myself but any chance its just a relay or something?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There may be a reset switch you could try pressing on the unit. Not much more to do unless you have some diagnostic tools and knowledge. A close visual check might turn up something. For example, one year, I had a mouse electrocute itself across my main a/c contactor sometime during the winter. When I tried to turn the a/c on in the spring, nothing...the fluids had gummed up the contactor and it was frozen solid. Some liberal use of contact cleaner, and all's well again without a service call.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
hello prepper, Welcome to Terry's Forums.

You might want to check the Breaker for the outside unit.

Many times the Inside and outside units are on different breakers.

The 24 Volts come from the inside, sounds like that is working, and will click the outside relay,
but the compressor could be on a different breaker/circuit, And may not be getting power.

Have a great Day.

DonL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks