Instant hot??????????

Users who are viewing this thread

BSA_Bob

DIY Member
Reaction score
My house is very long, and we are tired of wasting over a gallon of water ,waiting for hot water in the kitchen. I need to know which make of "instant hot"is the best way to go. I can handle it so throw it out there at me. I am still a licensed plumber in michigan.
I am retired though--and am asking, as things change alot from year to year. please feel free to share what you have for me and thank you guys bob s

PS i'm in the market for one i can install in the line and maybe mount it below the kitchen floor............ in the basement

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe the best recirculation system is one that uses a return line. However, as a plumber you realize that retro fitting a return line might be very difficult. There are devices that do not require the return line so one of these might be your best option. There are several good brands available. Laing is one that I have experience with and they have a web site that describes their different models and have installation diagrams for them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The wear part on many is the cross-over valve that you use if you don't have a dedicated return line. While po-poo'ed by some, I've had good luck with my Redy-Temp unit...very simple to install, but it needs an outlet under the sink you choose to install it in. Takes all of about 10-minutes with only a pair of pliers or a wrench to relocate some faucet supply hoses. Since I've had mine, they've added several different models, so I do not know about all of them.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Try not to simply trade wasting a gallon of water with wasting fuel with the recirc. Those that are "always ready" abandon a significant amount of heat in both the supply and return lines. Those that only crank up the pump when flow is detected, or those that require the user to call hot water by hitting a button waste far less heat than simply thermostatic versions.

Insulating the supply line with 5/8" or 3/4" wall pipe insulation increases the time between calls that would require the recirc pump substantially, thereby reducing the net abandoned hot water volume. Even the cheap 3/8" walled R2 stuff like that available at box stores is better than nothing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you are only interested in one location getting the hot water 'immediately', then a small electric tank fed from the hot line would also work. By the time the tank was depleted, hot would be available to mix in (feed it from the hot line) and the temp would only vary slightly if sized properly. This would take more space than a recirculation system and probably more energy. To save some money, as mentioned, insulate the lines and consider using either a timer or demand switch...with a demand switch, you'd still have to wait, but would still save water...it would just recirculate - you'd have to wait for the hot to get there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks