Mr. Rooter "Waste King" brand garbage disposal is frozen

Users who are viewing this thread

aGrandma

Reaction score
I have a Mr. Rooter brand garbage disposal that is frozen. I can hear a hum sound when the switch is on, but nothing is turning. I got my tool to stick into the bottom of it to unfreeze it, but on this particular brand of garbage disposal, there is no hole there! In fact I can't find anywhere on the garbage disposal to use the tool to loosen it.

Can you tell me, how can I unfreeze this brand of garbage disposal?

I've never owned this brand before (this is a new home for us). I can't find anything on the Internet or youtube to show me how it's done, nor can I find a manual for it.

Thank you!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With it off, stick a boom handle down in there and try to turn it. The In-sink-erator brand has a hex hole in the bottom on the motor shaft, but not sure if anyone else does. I think it's a good feature, and cheap, but not copied from what I've seen.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I always thought Mr. Rooter was a plumbing company not a garbage disposal manufacturer...

I'm sure that whatever you have is a brand that has their sticker on it....

Can you post a picture of what you have?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is probably not a "mr rooter" brand. They get them from one of the "regulars" ( not ISE since you don't have the wrench socket). Could be Anaheim Manufacturing, or some others.

A hardware store has a tool you put down the throat to move it. PLEASE unplug or turn OFF the breaker before you stick anything inside.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
You probably already know that the tool is a Allen wrench looking thing (octagonal like a stop sign), and usually goes in the center of the underside where the motor shaft is located so it can be inserted and broken loose. You would find the motor reset button somewhere under there too but the motor is humming. If those don't work then you will need to go done through the top and try to do it with a good heavy long screwdriver or maybe even a plunger handle or a 2 inch square piece of hardwood. I have a long heavy piece of metal with a "U" shape cut into each end that fits over what I can only describe as a narrow thingy that sticks up above the surface of the cutting plate. It will be close to the center. My tool would catch that and by putting a crescent wrench on it I can usually get it loose. Look inside of it with a flashlight, a sort of cavity search! I know the job is no fun and it might be a knuckle buster too. There is probably a knife, fork or spoon in it. I work with the big commercial stuff and they can become wedged pretty tight.

aGrandma

Reaction score
I took photos of the side and the bottom of this garbage disposal. See, there is no place to put the allen wrench tool. So the brand is "waste king" but Mr. Rooter sold it. But I WAS able to dislodge the stuck unit. I tried a plunger stick first and BROKE IT. Then I tried using the handle of a hammer, and it fixed it immediately!! It works GREAT now. Thanks for your help!!

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,195
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,628

aGrandma

Reaction score
ha ha ha - Yeah, I could see the brand was Waste King after I took the photo and could see it on my computer screen. In any case, there is no hole to put an allen wrench in! Honestly my friend works for Mr. Rooter and he saw the unit, and he mentioned that Mr. Rooter sold those garbage disposals (I don't know if they STILL do), and he said they are not good quality. I "assumed" they were Mr. Rooter brand since they had a big sticker all around it....Oops, guess it's just like Kenmore...someone else makes it and Kenmore puts a label on it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF it were Kenmore, it would have been an ISE and WOULD have had the socket on the bottom. A more relevent picture would be the INSIDE of the disposer, since it could be worn out, but still functioning.

Reaction score
Emmerson makes the disposals for: Emmerson, Kitchen-Aid, Kenmore, and Insinkerator. They just put different stickers/colored paint and some are a bit fancier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks