not "stuff", just "computer"

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Just to relate my tale of woe: My computer has been acting up for a long time...freeze ups,. fails to wake from sleep, etc. I assumed possibly Vista corrupted and needs reload, poss. bad memory; finally found a Tech Shop I had some confidence in....they determined the Mother board was causing power glitches. new board, $130 out the door....I am happy camper!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I had the same thing happening for years with my computers...
Slow running...
Freeze Ups....
Fails to wake from sleep...
Fails to start....
Blue Screens of Death....
Sucking in every bit of spyware and virus know to man...

Recently I got a new MacBook and discovered the problem was that I was running Windows...

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Computers are quite cheap now, so I try to get new ones rather than fix 'em.

I'm done with that old game.

At about 5 years old, I spend $500 and just buy a new one.

I don't just patch and pray like the rest of America.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
5 year old computer. Added power supply, 44$, 2gb memory, 39$, new video card, $29. So for 112$ plus an hour time installing and blowing out the insides, I have a new machine.

Fast enough and the main board that lasts 5 years without a glitch, should carry on indefinitely if you dont knock it off the desk.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
You're throwing good money after bad. Imagine what $112 put towards a new machine would have bought you?

It's like upgrading a Toto with a softclose seat. It's OK, but it'll never be American Standard.

The only standard for Americans.

Last edited:

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
Buy and download Resolutions MSP It is the best antivirus software on the market. It will keep your computer safe. They are located in Tempe, Arizona. I have no affiliation with this company.

alongston

Reaction score
I've heard of a lot of people having problems with Vista. I have a mac and haven't had any problems with it so far.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Computers are quite cheap now, so I try to get new ones rather than fix 'em.

I'm done with that old game.

At about 5 years old, I spend $500 and just buy a new one.
I work in IT and need you to come here and convince management that it's cheaper to replace them. I've been fighting them for 15 years to churn computers every 3 years but I still have lots of them over 10 years old. I'd be happy to settle for a 5 year churn.

As for ballvalve saying that if they make it past 5 years they will last forever... HA!! Maybe the motherboard and maybe on some models but even then, I see capacitors on the motherboard leaking. Power supplies, cooling fans, hard drives, etc. don't get better with age. New software bloat means it won't run well on old hardware without RAM upgrades but throwing good money at old computers to upgrade their RAM is just nuts. Then the old hard drive is still too slow...

As for the Mac fan suggesting that Microsoft is to blame for a motherboard failure, he needs to be humbled. Waiting in line at the Apple Genius Bar to talk to a "Genius" aught to do it. LOL... my boss is a Mac fan.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm lovin my MacBook!

What a beautiful machine! Why did I wait so long to ditch the PC?

I agree!
My family and I made the move to Mac about 4 years ago and I would never go back.

For what it's worth, on the rare occasions that I have needed tech help, either bringing the unit to the Genius Bar, or calling Apple, has always led to a quick and efficient fix. Nice to have support right here in the US.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
OMG!! The only thing worse than a Mac afficienado, is a newly converted Mac user. They suddenly see the Millenium is right around the corner and there is going to be peace in the world.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
OMG!! The only thing worse than a Mac afficienado, is a newly converted Mac user. They suddenly see the Millenium is right around the corner and there is going to be peace in the world.

HJ it's like pinch me I'm died and gone to heaven....

Imagine going through the day without having to trick a machine into doing what you want it to do...

Achutch

Reaction score
Just to relate my tale of woe: My computer has been acting up for a long time...freeze ups,. fails to wake from sleep, etc. I assumed possibly Vista corrupted and needs reload, poss. bad memory; finally found a Tech Shop I had some confidence in....they determined the Mother board was causing power glitches. new board, $130 out the door....I am happy camper!

I have been extremely frustrated by the same problem which has been happening on the desktop since I bought it in late 2009. It runs Vista 64 bit. Turns out the problem was caused by my Maxtor external drive which I use to backup my files. Since I now plug in the Maxtor only when I want to back up or retrieve, the problem seems to have gone away. Yesterday, I plugged in the external drive and then got distracted for a while; long enough for the computer to go to sleep. Sure enough, when I "woke up" the computer, a few minutes later, I got the blue screen with the usual "driver power state" error!!! So, either I buy a new external hard drive or remember to unplug the one I already have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks