(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: After brief power failure, I have pulsating water and the well pump is cycling A LOT

DIY Junior Member JamesEarlJones's Avatar

Default After brief power failure, I have pulsating water and the well pump is cycling A LOT

I accidentally cut power to the well pump while my wife was doing dishes yesterday. After I turned it back on, the water seems to be pulsating. It seems to have pretty high pressure, but there is a definite pulse to it. Also the well pump seems to be clicking on and off pretty constantly while we're using water. I've read a few things pointing to either a lowe pressure cut off switch, or maybe not enough air in the tank, but wasn't really sure if either of those could be what I'm looking for. Seems weird. Everything was perfectly fine before I killed the power. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by JamesEarlJones; 01-27-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

I recommend turning the power to the well off and getting a pro out there to diagnose it ASAP. Letting the pump cycle as you describe will cause it to fail, and then you will have more problems.

You probably ran all the air out of the tank when the power was shut-off by continuing to use water after the pump was off. The tank needs Air ASAP and if it's a bladder tank it needs a new tank.

DIY Junior Member JamesEarlJones's Avatar

Default thanks for the tips

Ok, thanks for the advice. I have bought some bottled water to get us through until somebody can get out there to check things out since it looks out of my league. Will stop using water, and hopefully somebody can come out and take a look tomorrow. The pump tank appears quite old, so we'll see what he says. I'll update the thread with what happens just for the sake of anyone else who stumbles on this with a similar problem.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Wellman View Post
    You probably ran all the air out of the tank when the power was shut-off by continuing to use water after the pump was off. The tank needs Air ASAP and if it's a bladder tank it needs a new tank.
    If its a plain tank, using all the water would have put air into the tank, and it would have been compressed when the pump went on. Not to mention the new air from the air maker sys.

More likely a bladder tank.